Writing a proposal

JanieWilson

In addition to my prior post about a project. This project is a six month project and some of the job duties are listed below. How do I figure a set price for all? I have no idea how long each may take!!
  • Launch Management
  • Project Management
  • Social Media Management
  • Auto responders posted and scheduled
  • Update the Optimize Press site
  • Send out and receive speaker contracts
  • Get all the info from speakers including bonus free offer
  • Update thank you page
  • Setup Google Analytics
  • Google Hangout Speaker Interview Scheduling and Assistance
  • Hootsuite account for scheduling Twitter posts
  • Create signups for speakers mailing lists, like their Facebook pages and follow them on Twitter
  • Create unique tracking links for each speaker
  • Create the swipe files for each speakers with their links
  • Daily monitoring of all Analytics
  • Edit videos
  • Schedule daily emails and social media posts
  • Customer service for attendees as needed
  • Monitor program pre-recorded video to make sure all is working correctly
  • Set up video replays and send out link by newsletter
  • Connect with sponsors to get their links and info, send and receive contract and get free gifts and blurbs
  • Affiliate Management
  • Autoresponder Setup
  • Audio / Video Editing
  • Basic Website Maintenance / HTML
  • Customer Service
  • Database Management
  • Email Management
Thanks for any help!
Janie
or you can email me - janielwilson@comcast.net

SuzannaK

Hi Janie,

I don't understand it when people give us a list like this and expect us to tell them how much it will all cost. You would at least need more information on each bullet point. For example, how many videos they would want you to edit, 5 or 50? Do you need to provide customer service all day long? How many posts should you post to social media? etc.

But even with more information, it could still be hard to know how long each task would take, so I would do this on an hourly basis, otherwise you could end up with a lot of work and little pay.

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Hi Janie,

My first suggestion is to determine what the goal(s) would be for the services requested. For example, 'send out and receive speaker contracts'...is the client seeking to adding one new speaker per month? For social media posts...is the goal to add X amount of new subscribers per month?

I would break down the list by category...maintenance services, goal-oriented services, project services, etc. and then determine 1) how much time the client is budgeted to spend and 2) how much time to spend on each service to achieve the goal that that client is asking.

Some of the services you listed are broad such as Customer Service. This would need to be broken down and defined. Are there phone calls to make? Is this email management?

A service such as Autoresponder setup might be considered a project item. In such cases, you might want to actually set up a dummy site and time yourself to give you an idea as to how long this will take you. Add in any additional time for adjustments and determine the final project fee by using your hourly to come to a good estimate.

I would try to bundle and quote as many related services as possible and determine one fee. Anything that can't be bundled and quoted as a value package can be charged hourly.

I would suggest that when you put together the contract that you not only take an ample deposit (one month) to cover any services and time not accounted for initially, but that you add a clause about re-evaluating the account in one month and again in 3 months to ensure that the services and the goals are accounted for in the time estimated.

Some of these services may need to be subcontracted out to other VAs so do include this in the contract as well.

You might want to consider creating a team to accomplish all that the client is asking.

So my suggestion is to break down the services by category. Determine the goals of the client. Bundle as much as you can. Test out specific services to determine estimated time. You will need to schedule a consultation with the client to present and discuss all of the services requested.

Janine

JanieWilson

Wow! Thank you SO MUCH for your help and perspective on this! It is for a project and they want an amount to write into the budget. Although I've done all those things, trying to figure out the "time" on each one is almost impossible. Has anyone done anything like this before? Given a "bid" or "set amount" on a project? I think I'm just going to pass on it for now. I'm in the midst of "reinvention", so I'll stick to my plan till I emerge anew in the VA world! :)

Thanks again ~ This forum is priceless!

Janie

JanieWilson

I cannot thank you enough for your help. I think I would enjoy working with that client, but I declined. Like many of you, I just could not quote a fixed price with so many unknowns. I can't thank you enough for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help.

I cannot thank you enough for your help. I think I would love working with that client, but I declined. Like many of you, I just could not quote a fixed price with so many unknowns. I can't thank you enough for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help.

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Janie,

I understand. Thank you for posting back with your decision. That's what nice about being a business owner is the ability to make those decisions. ;)

Best to you,

Janine

tmccroskey

I am working on two proposals at the moment. I just did a list of the goals they set out from our initial consultation. I then decided on a plan of action to achieve the goals and had a table that showed the goal in one column then the method for achieving the goal, the weekly tasks that will be done to achieve the goal and a time frame in a week to do the weekly tasks. Then at the bottom I provided pricing, information on discounts. Through out I provided notes and cost cutting strategies. I think it's a great exercise to really think through how you will do your tasks for clients.

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Tinisha,

One cautionary item I'd suggest having written numerous proposals in the past is to 'not give away the store'. I say this because I created something similar to your exercise and when the potential client decided not to contract with me, she took my plan of action and implemented it with someone else.

There is a fine line as to what I will state in the proposal as this can be valuable information that can used at a later date without your knowledge.

I don't usually include my methods in the proposal. I state what goals I can achieve for the client but I don't state the 'how'. If I say I can do xyz, then they need to know I know how to do xyz.

I don't offer discounts but I say that only for informational purposes. You can certainly offer whatever you see is appropriate. I used to offer a discount if a specified amount of hours were purchased but I stopped doing that some time ago because I felt it devalued my time. There was no reason to discount my time if I offered the same value for 5 hours as I would for 50 hours.

I usually go through the details during the consultation when I have grabbed the potential client's attention and they seem ready to want to work with me. At that time I offer cost cutting strategies and suggestions.

I'm not sure if you offer all these details in the proposals themselves or if this was just an exercise for you before you wrote the proposals but I thought I'd jump in with these suggestions.

Best to you!

Janine

deedallas

Awesome Advise. Also Janine has a RFP Transformation e-book that you can purchase it has a lot of Really good information in it. I purchased it and I have learned a great deal of replying to RFP's.

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Thank you for the compliment, Dee regarding the RFP Transformation. ;)

I'm so proud to share this review: "My colleague Janine Gregor gets more clients from RFPs than anyone else I know. Her success rate is phenomenal when it comes to responding to an RFP and landing that client. So I asked her to write a book for the rest of us - and you know what? She did! I highly recommend Janine's process to any VA - in startup or well-established. If you're looking for new clients, don't overlook the potential with RFPs."

Janine