Writing a proposal

dawndmd

Generally I believe my va business will not need to create a proposal. Maybe I am wrong. I charge hourly for my services. However, recently I had a request from a potential client to write a proposal based upon the services they request of me. I don't know how to do this. Can anyone help? Thanks. Dawn:cool:

MoragB

Dawn, I've had to prepare proposals for big projects I've applied for. If you'd like to pm me your email address I can send you the basic template and points to cover.

reneeshupe

If you plan on responding to an RFP's it's good to have a template to start from for any proposals. I work on a project basis so I am always providing a proposal or quote for clients.

When I was doing work on a retainer or hourly basis I did (and still do) have an information package that I provide for clients when they ask for such information. For when I was working on an hourly basis I had commonly asked questions, my rates, how I work with clients, expectations etc along with a bit of information about my company and myself.

interactive

Renee

Thanks for this info. This is just what i was looking for. Need to write a proposal/quote for a PC working on a hourly basis.

Shonelle

pdeutmeyer

I find that writing a proposal helps to clarify the project so there is no confusion about what is expected. What I submit is very simple, but clear. Here is an example of a proposal I have submitted (If anyone has recommendations they are more than welcome to provide suggestions regarding my proposal):

Proposal
Profile: Admin Support
Price: $200.00
Details:
Scope of Work: Submitting of 10-articles to the 10-directory specified sites. The work details the copying and pasting said articles, titles, and descriptions into the specified fields for each directory.

Client Provides:
10-articles, directory usernames/passwords if necessary, keywords for each article, titles for each article, 10-list of directories, and descriptions for each article.

Deutmeyer Consulting Services will provide:
Labor as detailed in the scope of work.

Completion Time:
1-day after proposal is accepted. After this project is completed negotiations will resume if project should continue as a more permanent status as needed.

Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you,

Patty Deutmeyer
Deutmeyer Consulting Services

pdeutmeyer

If you plan on responding to an RFP's it's good to have a template to start from for any proposals. I work on a project basis so I am always providing a proposal or quote for clients.

When I was doing work on a retainer or hourly basis I did (and still do) have an information package that I provide for clients when they ask for such information. For when I was working on an hourly basis I had commonly asked questions, my rates, how I work with clients, expectations etc along with a bit of information about my company and myself.
Renee,

Would you feel comfortable providing a sample packet for us?

AGDAdminServices

This is something I am working on today. I want to keep it simple. I will see what I can come up with. This thread was a good start for my project today. ;)

Hello, Dawn. I agree with Renee and everyone else, it's really important to have a template ready to submit a rockin' proposal. If I many add, research the individual/company/business and plug all pertinent information into your template. Emphasize what you are offering to solve their needs/void. Yes, it's really time consuming, even having a template. But the bottom line -- and the result -- is well worth it. I have two clients who are the best of all the best. And they told me that what won them over was my proposal. If a client is well worth it, make it worth your while to sock it to them with a rocking proposal! :applause:

debw241

If you combine the 2 Pattys' comments you should have an awesome proposal!

It is always important to research your client and to become familiar with their company's needs. LISTEN or READ what they are requesting -- Put your focus on THEM and how you can meet those demands.

Good luck! Please let us know what happens

The Perfect Word

Community Leader
In the long time I've been in business I have never needed a proposal for a client, but I have submitted a few to businesses here needing a subcontractor. I think it might depend on the type of business you're in and the type of clients. I've also noticed that when applying for government bid type projects in my state you would need one.

I don't have a template set up, but I love the idea of having one at the ready and now plan on creating one after the first of the year...using the great suggestions here!

bridiej

I find that writing a proposal helps to clarify the project so there is no confusion about what is expected. What I submit is very simple, but clear. Here is an example of a proposal I have submitted (If anyone has recommendations they are more than welcome to provide suggestions regarding my proposal):

Proposal
Profile: Admin Support
Price: $200.00
Details:
Scope of Work: Submitting of 10-articles to the 10-directory specified sites. The work details the copying and pasting said articles, titles, and descriptions into the specified fields for each directory.

Client Provides:
10-articles, directory usernames/passwords if necessary, keywords for each article, titles for each article, 10-list of directories, and descriptions for each article.

Deutmeyer Consulting Services will provide:
Labor as detailed in the scope of work.

Completion Time:
1-day after proposal is accepted. After this project is completed negotiations will resume if project should continue as a more permanent status as needed.

Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you,

Patty Deutmeyer
Personally I would put the price at the bottom, otherwise someone may think "OMG $200!" and not bother to read any further. Sell the benefits first, then they won't worry so much about the price. :)

SarahG

Found all of that very helpful. I haven't yet needed to put a proposal together but once I do I will now have a much better idea on how to put on together...

And will be sure to keep my pricing somewhere closer to the bottom of the page.
Couldn't hurt!

Quoteroller looks interesting, but as I don't have any regular clients yet, I can't see investing the money. I'm looking for some free (or at least cheap) alternatives.

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
If you are writing a proposal in response to an RFP or Request for Proposal, I would spend the time researching the client's business needs to make sure you state in your proposal what you have accomplished is relative to their needs. The proposal is not about you; it's about what you can do for the client.

While I don't specifically use a template, I maintain that there are specific components that should be included in a proposal. It is important to make a connection with the potential client in the proposal.

If the proposal is in response to a PC specifically asking for this directly from a VA, I would create a New Client Welcome Packet which includes all of the business policies, payment policies, payment penalties, testimonials, social media links, a short bio, hours of operation, etc.

Janine

JanieWilson

I don't think I'm qualified with enough posts to message anyone yet, so I need to ask here. I have a potential client who wants me to give her a set amount for my services over a six month period so she can write it in the project budget. She has listed the responsibilities, I just have no idea how long it will take to complete them. How can I calculate a price and still get the hourly rate I'm accustomed to? Is there a form you use, etc? I'm lost. Thanks for any help you can provide!!