Working with Protected Health Info

LaGreen19

I know this is a long shot, but do any of you ever work with clients on projects involving Protected Health Info (PHI)? Or know a lot about HIPAA regs that you can guide me? A lot of my experience is conducting medical and behavioral health research, most of which includes working with PHI, and I would love to continue offering this as a service. I'm just trying to get a grasp of how that would work since I am not an employee, but an outside business and doing everything virtually. Anyone have any experience with this, or insight, pretty pretty please? :) and thank you!

MaplewoodVA

Hi Laura,

I have limited info to share...

One of my clients is in healthcare and asked me to consider becoming HIPPA compliant. I was guided to this website to learn how to do that. I chose not to follow through because the services were outside of my main offerings and the directions I wished to take my business.

Had I completed the requirements I would have worked directly with patient records in cloud-based databases providing admin services.

~Ruth

LaGreen19

Thanks for the link, Ruth! It was very helpful, and it's definitely good information for me to know for the future. I'm not sure that becoming HIPAA compliant is what I need to do, but your link did lead me to the possible answer...if I enter into a data use agreement, I can have clients remove any identifiers in the data and then I can access it.