Where do I pay tax?

VictoriaHayes

Hi
I am only in the very early planning stages of my business but I wanted to know if anyone is in a similar position. I am originally from the Uk but I now live in the Netherlands , my target market will be UK clients and therefore I will be paid in pounds into an English bank account. Does anyone know if I should pay tax in UK or the Netherlands or both?

Thanks

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
Re: Where do I pay tax!

Being in the U.S., I cannot answer your questions however if this was someone local I would recommend that they consult with a tax or financial professional.

VictoriaHayes

Thanks, yes I will do. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar situation. Thanks for your reply !

jrose

I agree with consulting a professional, but my guess would be the Netherlands!

timcraft

I am originally from the Uk but I now live in the Netherlands , my target market will be UK clients and therefore I will be paid in pounds into an English bank account. Does anyone know if I should pay tax in UK or the Netherlands or both?
It kind of depends on whether you are "resident", "ordinarily resident" etc (see: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/residence.htm).

If you have a UK registered company, or are registered as self-employed with HMRC then you'll most likely be paying tax in the UK on what you earn from your UK business (regardless of where you live). But for an authorative answer you'll want to speak to HMRC directly, or a professional tax advisor. I am neither :)

KathiWalsheck

My company is US based but I do business in Austalia also. (My employee is from there and does her days when I am asleep and I do the daytime work when she is alseep, so we do not ever have to turn away an national or international client that needs things urgently). Anyway, you have to pay the tax to what country your company is registered in.