What LEGAL steps are required to start working?

VA Allie

I need to get my biz up *fast*. I'm wondering what the minimum legal requirements are to get up and going, not the ideal ones of a website etc. I plan to register as a sole proprietor here in NY and register locally. I want to make sure I understand everything that needs to be in place before I try to solicit new clients (I do have a contract ready and I'm raring to go...but don't want to forget anything!).

Thanks for any info you can provide! :)

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
Check with your local government to see if you need any permits to run a business from your home. The other biggie is to apply for an EIN. Even though you are solo it is a good idea instead of giving out your social.

Also get a good solid contract. Not a legal requirement but certainly a necessity.

VA Allie

Check with your local government to see if you need any permits to run a business from your home. The other biggie is to apply for an EIN. Even though you are solo it is a good idea instead of giving out your social.

Also get a good solid contract. Not a legal requirement but certainly a necessity.
Thanks so much for replying. I had those things in mind but was worried there might be something else that's required. Glad there wasn't any holes in my research and I know what needs to be done Thanks!

teel03

Alyson:

Don't forget that if you are going to have a D/B/A (doing business as) and you are going to call your business something other than your name (especially if you are going to register with your local government office or township or county) -- you'll need to check with your bank to see if they will require you to open an account under that D/B/A name. This way if someone accidentally tries to pay you using the business fictitious name you won't run into any problems taking that payment.

Paulette

There are technically no legal requirements to start working for yourself as a sole proprietor.

On the other hand, there are a large amount of steps you SHOULD take before you start operating. Do you need an EIN? Absolutely not. But if you're a sole proprietor and you don't want to give out your social security number, then you should apply for an EIN. You can do it online, and the IRS will literally give it to you in a couple of minutes after filling out some questions.

Do you HAVE to file a DBA with to NY to start operating? No, but if you are going to use something other than your own name or a business name that does not include your last name, then yes. So if you are operating legally as Smith Virtual Assistance (I made up your last name) you dont have to file a certificate since you are using your own name, but you should anyway just to make it official. Your website name can also be anything you want such as imanawesomeva.com.

Operating in your home can depend on whether you own or rent so read your lease. It's probably not an issue.

You don't NEED a contract, but it is HIGHLY recommended that you use always use one for all clients so you're legally protected should something go awry.