Virtual Assistants for bloggers

31millionseconds

Is anyone else out there a VA for bloggers? I thought this would be the perfect niche for me since I have so much experience with Blogger, WordPress, promoting on social media, and all the other little things that go into blogging. However, now I'm beginning to doubt myself.

Have I chosen an area where everyone is pretty much a do-it-yourselfer? If anyone out there does VA work for bloggers, can you tell me how you found clients? I'm feeling incredibly lost here, and any help would be so greatly appreciated!

samspence

Re: VAs for bloggers

How are you marketing yourself now? Are you networking, getting out there making new connections?

Have you tried registering on some of the copywriting sites?

Just a couple of ideas....

Good luck.

31millionseconds

Right now, I feel like the only way I'm really marketing myself is by participating is forums with other bloggers. I'm trying to help out and answer questions to show my expertise in the area.

I'm not sure if I should be doing something on Twitter and Facebook? Or would that be pretty much like trying to whisper in a room full of yelling people? There's so much going on that I'll be drowned out.

Thank you for the ideas! I'll check out the copywriting sites and see what's out there.

PamH53

Don't be scared of Twitter and Facebook. I got a really great copywriting client because I was on Twitter and happened to see a tweet from her saying her transcriptionist just quite. I emailed her right away and not only got her as a client but a few of her friends as referrals.

Susankelly

My feeling is you have a niche but not a target market. I've been on this list for this entire year, really serious about my business for a few months and I'm just "getting" how important a target market is. Especially when you are talking about social media.

You right if you are in forums with other bloggers it might not be the right target. Think about what you really love or enjoy. I love photography and blogging. So I'd go find social media groups, and various other places photographers hangout at. Just like we have this VA forum here, there are forums for just about anything/everything on the net.

So I find some places where photographers hang. Because I'm fairly knowledgeable with a camera and actually have some decent work I've done I can participate in the forum. I'm not as professional as they are but I get it (and love it). I have a signature that I post with in that forum that is about my VA biz. Invariably conversations turn to how to get more business. I post ideas about social media, blogging and such.

They get to know me and some of them eventually figure out I get marketing and photography. And they call me to work for them. It is NOT a fast process but it does work.

So having a very specific target really helps you know where you should be going. I have a ton of interests and I'd like to work in a few of those areas. Not to mention I like variety! So I'm hoping that down the line I can set up another target. But one thing at a time!

I'm on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+. So far for me Facebook is working out well.

31millionseconds

Susan, thank you for this! It's beginning to make sense to me. I thought that by choosing bloggers, I did have a target market, but now I see that "bloggers" is just too big. There are so many different types of bloggers out there. I need to narrow it down even more, to say, fashion or food bloggers to really get a good target market.

I do have another question though, how exactly do you advertise your services on Facebook? Do you create wall posts with a link to your site? Or do you actually pay for advertising?

31millionseconds

Pam, can I pick your brain a little bit more about advertising on Twitter? When I'm on Twitter, I search for "virtual assistant" to see what people are saying, and it seems like it's all other VAs advertising their business. That's one reason why I've been so hesitant to do the same thing. I feel like I would just be one more voice among the thousands that would get ignored. Is finding clients on Twitter pretty much a right place, right time kind of thing?

Kara_VA

While not specifically only interested in bloggers, this thread and Susan's post in particular is helping me understand the concept of Target market vs niche. It's at that point I have also been floundering. However, I am also still wrapping my head around the social media front.

To answer and extend 31Millionseconds question, I sense what sets one apart is not just advertising their business but also sharing their knowledge/tips (their blog posts and affiliated sites they choose to contribute their knowledge). On twitter to occasionally share/compliment affiliated information of others to gather an industry alliance. Occasionally asking open ended questions and actively engaging with anyone who answers. To essentially create a 'value proposition' for your products target market, that is adding those who you are targeting and see if they may be interested the valuable specific quality you possess targeted to their needs.

That's a lot! I am I getting it right?

DianaEnnen

Hi

One thing that bloggers often need to help writing their posts and/or articles. You might be able to hit the market more too by offering article marketing services (if you can do that.) I believe you can reach the target audience of bloggers and also get others as well. Just a thought. I know I use a VA to help me with my article writing, blog posts and it really helps.

Good luck!

31millionseconds

Thanks for the info Diana! I am definitely capable of article writing and marketing, so I will add that to my list of services and market it as well.

monthofsundays

Some bloggers are DIY-ers, but I know plenty (especially the ones making full-time money from their blogs) who can't do it all. Keep it up, it's a great target market!

31millionseconds

Monthofsundays- I'm glad to hear you know bloggers who could use the assistance of a VA. That makes me feel more comfortable in my decision to target this market. Thank you!

My feeling is you have a niche but not a target market. I've been on this list for this entire year, really serious about my business for a few months and I'm just "getting" how important a target market is. Especially when you are talking about social media.

You right if you are in forums with other bloggers it might not be the right target. Think about what you really love or enjoy. I love photography and blogging. So I'd go find social media groups, and various other places photographers hangout at. Just like we have this VA forum here, there are forums for just about anything/everything on the net.

So I find some places where photographers hang. Because I'm fairly knowledgeable with a camera and actually have some decent work I've done I can participate in the forum. I'm not as professional as they are but I get it (and love it). I have a signature that I post with in that forum that is about my VA biz. Invariably conversations turn to how to get more business. I post ideas about social media, blogging and such.

They get to know me and some of them eventually figure out I get marketing and photography. And they call me to work for them. It is NOT a fast process but it does work.

So having a very specific target really helps you know where you should be going. I have a ton of interests and I'd like to work in a few of those areas. Not to mention I like variety! So I'm hoping that down the line I can set up another target. But one thing at a time!

I'm on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+. So far for me Facebook is working out well.
Hi Susan,

Great information!!! Thanks for sharing your insight.

I'm new to this, but for what it's worth...

I recently made one of those "coincidental" connections with a newly established non-profit in town. They want to get their name out there to enhance their credibility, and one of their ideas is to send a blast email out every couple of weeks. The only problem is...none of their Board Members are very good writers. I've already written one announcement and one article for them just in the month or so that I've known them. Obviously this is along the lines of a start-up business, so we'll see how long it lasts, but I hope the idea gets the wheels turning in your head!

Toni Mc

I really appreciate this thread! I never thought about targeting people who have the same hobbies I do. Thank you, Susan Kelly, for mentioning your tie-in with photography! I love freshwater fishing, so now I'm off to find ways to reach guide businesses, marina owners, tournament people, etc.

rayangelo

VA for bloggers, how can I assist you?