Question Tax Preparation

MsMnVA

Hello from Minnesota:seeya: For several years I've been doing virtual accounting/taxes for small businesses from my home office. I've been fine using QuickBooks, Turbo Tax, and H&R Block software. However, due to business growth, I need to look at other software options for doing taxes. Just wondering who else offers tax prep services and what software your using.

Thanks!

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Hi Romaine,

What do you mean by due to business growth and not wishing to use Turbo Tax, H&R Block, etc.? Why are these not suitable anymore?

I don't offer tax preparation services. I am inclined, though to suggest these programs.

The only other tax preparation programs I know about are those written for specific companies to use for their purposes. This would be proprietary programs.

Please let me know and I'll be glad to do some digging around.

Janine

MsMnVA

Janine, sorry for the late response. Turbo Tax is a great software option, however, once you've prepared 5 returns, I can no longer use their e-file system. For a little more money, the Turbo Tax Pro Series pkg. may be a better option for me.

With H&R Block, I can still do over 5 returns, but I pay extra for using the e-filing system.

Best!

rsmanuel

Hi, Romaine

I know this is a few months late; however, I suggest Drake Software. I have been using it for over two years now and love it.

They have a pay per return option, which is $300 and includes 15 returns, and then you pay for each additional. If your business grows enough, you can upgrade to unlimited returns for $1495 (your $300 will be deducted from the cost). I have posted a link below:

https://www.drakesoftware.com/products/buy-or-renew-drake/

Customer Service is excellent and actually consists of retired CPA's.

Best Wishes!

MsMnVA

Hello Ronda: I see that you are a new member - welcome and thanks for your recent post. I will check-out Drake Software to get more details - I appreciate getting this information before making a software decision.

As there aren't many VA tax professionals to connect with on this site, I'm wondering when your website will be up and functioning and how you're actually acquiring tax clients.

rsmanuel

Hi, Romaine

I have actually been part of the forums for almost two years now; however, I have yet to actually take my business live. Finishing up my degree (Associates), taking care of my kids and working full time has consumed me. With that being said, I am claiming 2016 as my year for no excuses!!!!

I work full time for a local CPA firm and use the Drake Software; however, I have acquired a few tax clients on my own. Family and friends have referred coworkers, my mother-in-law has referred her employees (10), etc. It's a nice perk during tax season; however, I'm ready to launch my business so that I can work full time and build my bookkeeping clientele. (Which of course will bring more tax clients).

To answer your question regarding a website....I cringe at the thought. I tend to be such a perfectionist. I want it to be perfect at launch, rather than getting something functional out there and building upon it, while at the same time, retaining my branding. I am going to have to learn a new approach for this! For right now, I am polishing up my contracts and taking care of everything else first.

I, too, have had a hard time finding any va tax professionals, so I would be thrilled to stay in touch! :)

odenbprice1

Hi, considering your business is growing steadily, maybe you should just go with accounting outsourcing firms. OBP accounting is composed of accounting experts who can assist with your income tax records and BAS reporting to ensure your compliance. Also, they offshore their staffing to lower-waged countries, saving you more than other outsourcing firms.