Project Manager - PMP

Susan Mershon

Hi - I'm new to the VAF family and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. If not, sorry ;).

Is anyone a certified Project Manager?
If you offer Project Management as a service, what tasks do you usually perform? Virtually or do you go into their office?

I'm looking for ideas of what to offer for a Project Manager service. I'd love to hear what others are doing or any ideas. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Susan

virtual writing

Hi Susan -

Maybe you should think about what kinds of projects you'd like to manage, specifically. Project Management ranges from overseeing construction to creating a publication to planning weddings to orchestrating the kids baking cookies. What types of people are you interested in working with? What projects do you envision?

I should mention that Project Management is considered a pretty technical position, often (not always) requiring certification.

Susan Mershon

Hi Mary - thank you for your response. I like the idea of determining what type of work/people I'm interested in, thanks. I'm an IT Project Manager (my full time job) and have the PMP certification. I guess my biggest hurdle is trying to figure out how much of a PM's job can be done virtually vs in the office.
Susan

virtual writing

Depends totally on what kind of project it is, right? But the position does lend itself to virtual work because it's often mostly about communications, and the internet makes that real easy!

Susan Mershon

Mary - you're right it does depend on the project. I'll spend some time determining the types of projects/customers that would work best. Thanks again!

Susan,

When you mean certified PMP, are you talking about the PMP certification by the Project Management Institute - http://www.pmi.org/?

I've seen some job openings for PMPs but they are usually in the office.

Maybe you can take a look at their standards and see how it applies to VAs.

Hope that helps,
Mimi

Susan Mershon

Hi Mimi - thanks for your response. Yes that is the certification I have. I've been searching the web to see what I can find!
Susan

bizybee06

Just a quick question...I have experience working as a Project Manager and a Business Analyst for about 15 years but unfortunately I never received a formal PMP certification...I thought my job/career was going to last me until retirement so I mistakenly thought I had plenty of time to obtain the certification....WRONG! Do you actually need to have the PMP certification to secure work as a virtual assistant specializing in project management? Has anyone been successful in this area without the PMP? Thanks.

Toni