Policy on Sharing Info Between Clients

LaGreen19

Hi everyone! I recently came across a situation and was wondering if any of you have policies in place, or experience dealing with crossover of work between clients?

I have a client that I provide lead research and management for, and on his referral, I recently brought on another client that is in the same industry that I will be providing the same services for. Probably about a third to a half of the leads they would be looking for are similar. (The services they offer are similar, but different in many ways and leads could realistically hire both of them at any point without creating "competition" per se).

Obviously, I wouldn't share the leads I found working for client 1 with client 2 without their permission. But, in your opinions, is there anything wrong with approaching each client, separately, and asking them if they want to "share" leads that I am finding? Any advise on how to handle this situation so that all three of us benefit from the overlap and nobody feels taken advantage of?

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Laura, it sounds like you're suggesting that your clients could save some money if they shared the results of this task. If that's the case, and you're comfortable posing the suggestion I'd recommend opening the conversation with both of them copied (only if they are already colleagues or friends and one referred you to the other).

Be sure to have a pre-determined rate or cost for each of them in mind - I would be careful about undercutting yourself.

I hope this helps! I'll be curious to know what comes of the offer...

LaGreen19

Thanks for the response, Tess. Yes, you understand the situation correctly. I was hoping to have an open and honest conversation with both clients about developing a system that will work for all three of us (without undercutting myself or making them feel like they are getting a raw deal), but I just want to make sure I'm not opening a can of worms by doing so!

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Well I'll look forward to hearing what you decide to do and how it all pans out - please keep us posted!

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Laura, I've been really curious to find out what happened with this situation - any feedback from your clients yet?

LaGreen19

Hi Tess, Thanks for following up! I emailed both clients, and as I expected they were both totally fine with sharing the results of the task. I'm sure it helped that they were friends (and not really "competitors"). We just made some basic ground rules, and so far so good!

SaraD

Glad to hear this worked out. By 'ground rules' did you end up creating a policy document about sharing 'competitors' information? (curious)