Paypal & Invoicing

DesignVA

Hi Everyone..I'm new here :)

This may be a real no brainer but I can't seem to wrap my head around invoicing and receiving payment by PayPal.

Maybe I'm old school but generally I picture a business receiving a paper invoice then cutting a cheque and sending payment.

I definitely will not be accepting cheques so curios...are you sending electronic invoices with a PayPal payment link in it?

Thank you:)

It's really no different -- and far more convenient -- than a paper invoice. Do you already know how to create an invoice from your PayPal account? Not sure whether that was your question or not.

twenty47

I just started sending my invoices via PayPal today and it's so so convenient for me. I am yet to get them completed though but I think this is the direction I would want to go now. I have one particular client who is interested in the actual paper invoice though. I have no idea how to deal with the situation. I understand people are different and have different preferences. I certainly hope online invoices are something she can consider.

Hello,

I'm using paypal and I setup monthly recurring invoice to my client.

every month i receive automatic payments to my clients using paypal.

hope it helps

Susankelly

I too use PayPal and most of my clients pay me that way. (I have a local client that leaves a check in my mailbox the same day I bill him) I think it's great, it's easy for me and the client and I get my money quickly!

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
I only accept PayPal. It's part of my business policy. If they want to work with me, that's the way it has to be. I don't have the time to create paper invoices and mail them. I have to make the best use of my time and PayPal is the most convenient, time efficient and cost effective means to go.

Janine

Emmeelue84

I send the invoice through the Paypal service, so the link comes along with it for them to pay. It's super easy and havent had any issues yet.

JenCharles2014

I have a client who has had issues with EDD and says he doesn't want to pay me as an individual but as a company, which I have not problem doing, but I haven't set up a business account up at my bank. I let him know that I can bill him using Paypal and he wasn't ok with that until I told him that I didn't have a bank account yet. He said he was only going to do it the one time but I don't want to set up a bank account yet until my business has more than just one client. He had told me in an email that he didn't want to tell me how to run my business but doing it through paypal is unprofessional. I let him know that a lot of virtual assistants are using this method and is where I got the idea. This month will be the 3rd time I am billing him and he keeps wanting to put me on payroll even though I work from home. I've even contacted EDD about the rules and they said I have met the rules but he still refuses to believe it. What do I do?

Hi Jen,

Are you self-employed, or aren't you?

I think that's what this issue boils down to. If you were serious about being self-employed, you would have a website (I cannot find one for you), and would have your policies in place before taking on a client. You should never be in the position of having to "defend" your business policies.

I don't mean to sound harsh - I mean to try to press you to make a decision here. Maybe you actually would rather be on his payroll? But if you were committed to being self-employed, and you had well thought-out policies in place, if a potential client approached you with all this BS about how he should pay you, you would just decline to work for him.

As you've seen from the previous discussion on this thread, many VAs use PayPal. If you are committed to PayPal as your preferred method of receiving payment, your answer to him would not be, "I don't have a business account yet; you can pay me through PayPal, lots of VAs use PayPal", but rather, "I bill and accept payment through PayPal. I'm sorry that that doesn't work for you; let me see if I can refer you to someone who will accept payment in the method you prefer."

Who is going to set terms here?
You? Or your clients?

This is not to imply that PayPal is the only method of billing and accepting payments from clients; merely that, if you are self-employed, YOU are the boss when it comes to your own business practices and policies.

Virtual Alex

I agree with Karen. You are in control of setting your own business policies and if your business policy is to be paid through PayPal (or any other method for that matter), then your clients will have agreed to that. Did this client sign a contract with you? And if so, did that contract set out your payment terms? If it did, then he has already agreed to it. If he is now changing his tune, you need to decline to work with this client further. Which is HARD, especially when starting out, but it's the right business decision in my opinion.

Good luck!

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Jen, did you ever sort this out with your client?

I completely agree with the other VA's comments about this situation - it is absolutely your prerogative AND your responsibility to set the tone for how and when you'll be paid. And it should be in your contracts as clear policies...

I *only* accept PayPal - I have accepted automatic transfers and even checks from *some* clients in the past but it's never convenient for me and messes up my (very simplistic) bookkeeping - so I don't do it anymore. I've never had anyone tell me they 'won't' pay me through PayPal and would choose not to do business with someone who would be that disrespectful.

I'm sorry you had such a hard time with this client - would love to know how it panned out AND what you've done differently going forward to avoid this issue again :)

MsMnVA

I already have a personal account setup with PayPal so do I need to set another one up for my business? Also, what is the PP fee for this great service?

CallShona

Paypal charges you 2.9%+$.30 per transaction. You can write this off when you do your taxes. I had a personal account and just switched it over to a business account. I still use my SSN instead of an EIN. At the end of the year you can run your Annual Financial Statement and give to your Accountant or if you file your own taxes pull all of the information you need from the statement.

arobbertse

Hello everyone. My name is Annemarie and I am the owner of Amazing Admin Assist in South Africa.

Please can you help me with rates? How do I work it out? Any marketing tips will also be appreciated.

Have a wonderful day!