New domain does not match Business name

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi John, I tend to prefer things to go together, whenever possible, for the sake of continuity and professionalism but I'm not entirely sure it's *that* much of an issue overall aside from personal preference.

I suppose, if it's not at all possible to get a domain that reflects your business name and you don't want to reconsider your business name then it's best you design the website with the business name in mind - after all, your business name is your brand, not your URL. :)

Girl Friday

I couldn't match my name either John because it was already taken in the USA. Seeing as I was Australian and was able to register the business name (Virtual Girl Friday) in my home state I decided to register www.vgf.com.au as my domain. Easier for people to remember too.

It hasn't been an issue for me so far, well not that I'm aware of, but it is an acronym of my name where as yours is a derivative. Could be confusing. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

kathiemt

I do have a domain that matches my business name but I got a new domain when the industry name of Virtual Assistant took hold. So I went from www.asecretary.com.au to www.vadirectory.net. The asecretary address points to the same website. I have variations too - have you looked at .org, .net, .biz for example?

Vicky

John,
I think that the main thing about the domain name is that it is easy to remember for clients and for protential clients and that it is not too for from your business name.

Saying that I spent days jotting down business names and then checking to see if it was available as an web/domain name. In the end I just used the initials of my business name as my domain name. Business name is very long, domain is short and sweet!!!

Regards,
Vicky
www.c-vas.eu

JRuner

Thank you for the replies I feel that my new domain name is not to far off. It shows I am here for the customer. I really like my business name so I am stuck with it.

John Runer

JRuner

Thanks for the reply Tess. I love how dedicated all of your are to helping each other on this forum.

John Runer

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
I really do believe that virtual assistants, by their very nature, are nurturing, supportive, and generous with their knowledge and time; that's an essential part of the 'job description', I'd say. Just being helpful in general. It makes sense that you'd find a real abundance of all that and more in a community dedicated to the industry. So glad you're a part of it! :)