Networking Checklist

VAF Newsbot

Networking is such a dirty word. I prefer to use the term 'making relationships" .. because at the end of the day, that's really what it is all about, especially if you are an introvert. As part of my 2014 goals, we've been getting out there and meeting new folks, reacquainting with others and... Click to read the rest of this post and comment at the VAF Community Blogs.

VAF Community Blogs: yet another great feature to help you to make the most of your membership. Start your own blog now!

JenSMA

I'm totally fine with walking into a room and getting to know new people...but when it comes to networking in order to get my name out there, earn more business? That's where I fail miserably. I know I do good work and I'm easy to work with, so I just assume everyone should figure that out by osmosis :)

Good tips in that blog post. I've got some things to work on!

Mouthy

Jen,

That's exactly how networking's done...getting to know people is all you have to do. It's really about just being social, vs. sales (except that rather than talking about your business, you're selling who you are...your personality and ability to make conversation). It's really just a dance. But I totally get where you're coming from. I can put a client's product or service on a pedestal and sell it to anyone, however, I abhor selling myself...sometimes, even doing marketing for myself is a PITA, but no one else is going to do it for me!

Make it about them, people in business (usually) like being asked about themselves. When the conversation turns back to you, you get to have a chance and tell your story. My trick? The ones who don't ask are the ones who will never be interested, and I can move on and not waste my time.

JenSMA

Thanks, Bobbi Jo! That's it exactly - I'll talk up a friend or colleague until the cows come home. But me? Gulp!

I'm finding that now that I'm in a position where I really need to make this work (we want to travel the world so work flexibility is key), I'm finding it's a bit easier to sell ME.

I still have a LONG way to go but I'm making baby steps!

I also discovered that when I updated my resume, I realized that yeah...I'm pretty good at this stuff and have a lot of experience to back it up. That helps tremendously with confidence.

Jen

JoyfulSolutions

I think you all right, it's about just getting out there and talking to others make it about them and you will see if there interested, because they will also want to know about you if they are interested.

harrysmith

Because of some negative "business scheme" impression "networking" have, people have this allergic reactions when they hear the word "networking". But really, its more on connecting and making relationships with people which may produce referrals in the future. But it won't be successful without preparing necessary tools such as business cards and other print ads.

Wendy-Works

I like going to these meetups, but I find that some of the ones that are held in restaurants or bars, have loud music going and you have to shout at each other to be heard. I prefer quieter venues where you can really get into a conversation. Trade Shows or Conference events are one of my favorites.