Name question...I almost had it!

My Office Zilla

I came up with this great name, did some research and discovered that the domain is already taken by something that is unrelated. :incazzato: Now I'm considering adding "My" or "Your" at the front to make it different. It will be very obvious if someone goes to the site at my original idea that it isn't me. Funny thing is, if someone needs me they might need to consider using the service at the other site too!

My questions are:

• Is there anyone else out there who has done this? (Added Your or My to a site already out there.) What have your results been?
  • Am I missing the boat by not starting out with something completely unique?

I know this whole post seems a little vague; however, I'm not ready to reveal my name yet in a public place. That being said, let me know what you think.

Make it a great day!

Sundi

MaryH

I think depending on the name, it could work out. Sometimes, just the addition of a word like "My" or "Your" can change the meaning enough that the two businesses are easily distinguishable. I don't think you are "missing the boat" by not coming up with something "original." I've found that many VA business names seem to have similarities with each other and yet they are each their own distinct company.

Office Goddess

I originally went for "Office Goddess" but it was taken in just about every variation. That's why I became the "Virtual Office Goddess." :) I bought the domains of TheVirtualOfficeGoddess.com and VirtualOfficeGoddess.com - both domains are connected so that anyone typing in THE first will automatically get re-directed to Virtual.

C

cyewing

Sundi,
When choosing my business name, I actually made a list of several names that I would consider. Then I checked to see which had matching domain names available so that I wouldn't get too attached only to discover that I couldn't use it. Since you've already gotten your heart set on something, I think that if you add "The" or "Your" to the beginning and it doesn't take away form it for you, then you should go with it. But if being unique is what's most important to you, then you should wait until you are completely satisfied with the name you choose. I think that in our profession, choosing an impressionable business name is important because it is a reflection of who we are and what we can offer. Our business name is a very significant part of our fist impression. Good name, good impression.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Sundi, interesting question - and I'm sorry to hear you've run into this problem! That can be so disappointing... but I do believe things like this happen for a reason so perhaps it's just a nudge to you to take a bit more time thinking of a great name that will leave a big impact.

Have you tried playing around in the online thesaurus (one of my own favorite brainstorming tools when it comes to creating catchy and unique names/terms)? By reading through terms related to your own list of key words or phrases and then clicking on to even more relative terms you'll come across all kinds of new and interesting possibilities to work with.

kathiemt

Sometimes just adding 'the' in front can make a difference too. I use BasementVentures for their teleseminars but their website is 'thebasementventures' as there is a site without the 'the' in front of it - totally different business.

In the early days when domains were first available I was not allowed to buy the generic domain. I wanted to buy secretary.com.au and had to make it asecretary.com.au (my business name is A Clayton's Secretary but I didn't want to make the domain too long). Later generic names were allowed but I wasn't notified and someone in another state bought up secretary.com.au and in some ways is in direct competition to what I do. Very annoying. But my business is well established these days so I haven't worried too much. I also own asecretary.com these days but it was owned by someone else who gave it to me when they closed their business. However, with VA and Virtual Assistant being more topical titles for what we do today I use vadirectory as my main domain although the asecretary one is still live.

My Office Zilla

Hi Sundi, interesting question - and I'm sorry to hear you've run into this problem! That can be so disappointing... but I do believe things like this happen for a reason so perhaps it's just a nudge to you to take a bit more time thinking of a great name that will leave a big impact.

Have you tried playing around in the online thesaurus (one of my own favorite brainstorming tools when it comes to creating catchy and unique names/terms)? By reading through terms related to your own list of key words or phrases and then clicking on to even more relative terms you'll come across all kinds of new and interesting possibilities to work with.
Amen! To all points above. I too believe things happen for a reason.

Somewhere from the forum I got linked to a 12 step process to coming up with a name. I went through the process and have a 135 word spreadsheet :rolly: of keywords which lead to combinations, alliterations, homonyms, cliches, qualities of my clientele, benefits, what my clients want to avoid AND rhyming options. I spent an entire weekend on it. I came up with a couple of options but nothing that made me say, "Oh Yeah Baby!" So I slept on it for more than a week. Then, again thanks to the forum, I spent a while playing with the logo generator someone posted. Fun but nothing amazing. The next Friday night I was awakened (actually Saturday morning) with two words and a slogan - which wasn't even one from the generator.

Now, I've been unable to sleep at night and come up with some really great ideas in my sleeplessness. This, this was a totally different animal. These two words woke me up like a voice inside my head followed by this slogan! As I lay there for another hour I played with words to substitute that fit with the slogan. I went back to my spreadsheet at 6 am that Saturday and spent the next few hours going through the process again. From there I picked my favorites, which were only two, and that is when I checked the domain name availability.

I definitely haven't taken this lightly and have been working on it since my first post at the forum. I think this is another reason why I don't want to settle for something that doesn't excite me! Hence the reason why I wanted to see what everyone thought of adding my or your.

I think at this point I'm going to turn what I have over to someone to do my logo. Even though I love my first choice the logo may just move me right on to the second choice - which of course the domain is totally open for!

Thank for your help and I can't wait to post my final decision!!

Make it a great day!

Sundi

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you're on a roll in the right direction Sundi :) Keep us posted on your progress!

Hi Sundi,

I can recall going through same name decision about a month ago. My original business name was going to be D. Victoria Business Solutions. Like you, it just wasn't exciting enough. I was struggling with the name for days. I even used the online thesaurus (just as Tess previously mentioned) to kick start my brain. I kept coming up with many names...you can't even imagine how many times I would walk into my husband's office and say "How about this name?" Some were good, some were very very bad. Eventually I decided on D. Victoria Virtual Assistance...while it isn't all that unique or exciting, it was the one I just kept coming back to.

With all that being said....if you do find a name you like and the domain is taken...you can add the word online or even the letters va at the end of your chosen domain name (providing they work well, of course).

Can't wait for your business name unveiling! :)