Medical Transcription

I am very interested in possibly getting into the Medical Transcription field. I was a nurse (a million years ago) and have worked in several other medical field offices over the past 20 years. AND I love transcription.

It seems like there are a lot of job announcements for medical transcribers also.

BUT a lot of them ask for proof of certification.

Does anyone here have suggestions of a good place to learn and get certification for medical transcription??

Thanks for your advice!

Jena

KathiWalsheck

Hi, best to brushup on your Medical Terminology first. Makes transcription much easier. You can create your own way of training. You can use your computer or speak into a mini recorder. then play it back and start typing. But when you are speaking it out, make sure you state your puncuations in the letter or soap notes, this way you know how to transcribe it.
A letter is usually like this when you listen to it...
OBJECTIVE this word is all caps and then a colon On examination of the right lower extremity comma the tibial and femoral pin sites are clean comma dry and intact period There are no local signs of infection period On examination of the knee comma there is minimal soft tissue swelling period (So now the soap note will look like this when you type it out...)
OBJECTIVE: On examination of the right lower extremity, the tibial and femoral pin sites are clean, dry and intact. there are no local signs of infection. On examination of the knee, there is a minimal soft tissue swelling.
(See, you will fill in the puncuation when it is spoken to you in the dictation). It is good practice. Have fun!

bridiej

You don't need a certificate. I got started in medical transcription by transcribing medical market research interviews. You learn a lot of terminology and it covers a broad range of areas. If you're already experienced in general transcription then I'd email a few medical market research companies and see if you can get on their books. Investing in a good medical dictionary is also worthwhile. :)

The Perfect Word

Community Leader
Having been a nurse, even though a while back, gives you a big advantage! (A friend of mine was a nurse and then ended up doing medical transcription from home.)

You could take a refresher course in medical terminology if you think that would help you feel more confident, but I bet it will all come back once you get going. Learning the format, too.

You could also start with one specific field of medicine rather than, say, a general practitioner whose terminology might cover just about anything. And I really like Bridie's idea!

Saifullah

I am enrolled in a medical transcription editing program with Career Step. They also offer a medical transcription only course. Transcription is entirely new to me. You can take a $99 medical terminology class online, if that's something you want to do. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links here. I can direct you to it, though. The website is "ed2go.com". I have never been a member on a forum before, so I don't know anything about etiquette. Middle Tennessee State University is offering "Medical Terminology: A Word Association Approach".

VAF Admin

Forum Administration
Staff member
Sidenote: @Saifullah, your post is just fine - you've been sent a link in your PM to read and sign off on the Community Rules so you're caught up on VAF's etiquette. Thanks!

Saifullah

If you would like to become certified as a medical transcriptionist you can take the CMT (certified medical transcriptionist) exam. You can either sit in for the exam or take it online. To take it online you'll need a webcam. They view the test-takers via webcam during the exam. The Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI) website tells you everything you need to know about becoming certified. I am hoping my MTE diploma will be enough for any employers and I'll never need to take the certification exam. :scholar: Sometimes, however, even if an employer says they want certification you can apply anyway with your resume informing them of your experience in the medical industry. They may see that as good enough. Good luck!

lisa4jvs

Hi Jena.

First, SOAP is an acronym for subjective, objective, assessment, and plan and basically tells about the encounter with the patient and will be different depending on the specialty.

Check with you local community college or accredited vocational training center. They'll be more likely to offer courses that lead to the recognized certification companies want. Also, organizations for certified and/or registered transcriptionists can also recommend courses.

Pam's suggestions on refreshing your med term and focusing on a specific field are spot on.

Last edited:

Saifullah

The next session start date for MTSU's Medical Terminology: A Word Association Approach is in 4 days! March 20th. The remaining sessions start April 17 and May 15. If you go to the "ed2.go" website, they allow you to search courses with a search box. There are lots of classes available. It's led by an expert instructor and there are 12 lessons over a 6 week time frame. It says 24/7 learning. While studying to become an MTE through Career Step, I have become aware that it is very important to periodically brush up on new medical terms. I took an Anatomy and Physiology course 15 years ago and have just finished taking a more extensive course with Career Step. A lot of the terms have changed just in that time period. :book:

This is all great stuff!!!!

I finally found my way to the AHDI website and got a list of their approved transcription courses. I was all set to do the associates degree in transcription through Kaplan (I have a whole bunch of credits from another degree that were going to transfer and then I would only have a class or 2 left to take) and then sit for the exams but I'm going to have to wait till June after all.

But in the meantime I have ordered a foot pedal and an adjustable portable table (did I mention that I travel full time??) so that I can start practicing for real and start looking for other(other than medical) transcription positions.

Maybe also in the meantime I will look into just taking a few terminology classes too. Money is tight that is why I was looking into taking a formal course because I can have it covered by student loans.

Thank you ALL ever so much for all of your input!

Z

Zach Riah

Hi,
A certified medical transcriptionist requires a special medical transcription training that incorporates all the essential skills needed to become effective with the job. The training would include core skills in English grammar, anatomy, pharmacology, physiology, and diverse medical terms.
According to my point of views you can look for training center near your place or you can search for various online training center. These courses help you to get recognized certification.

Thanks

Feldstein20

I have already decided to study law but the biggest problem is to qualify LSAT. I need to get high score in order to get admission in a good university. Recently downloaded some Practice LSAT Questions and I am sure that these would be beneficial in the preparations. More tips and guidelines for this test prep are also warmly welcome guys!