Mac Users

KieraLacy

I am wondering how many people on here are mac users, I am trying to decided if this is going to hinder my business because it seems like more people are on PC still then Macs. Does anyone have experience with this being an issue or does it seem to work fine with your clients?

tigerlilyva

I'm a new VA and I plan to use my Mac. I did buy Microsoft Office 2011 to make it a bit easier for me but other than that I feel very confident that I can provide clients what they need.

KieraLacy

I have been using a Mac for years and where I live is mostly older people who are PC people so I am worried that it is going to be like training them on how to use my files. But maybe I can use all online systems then it will be something everyone can use.

Susankelly

I'm a Mac user big time (I think I have most Apple products - iMac, Mac air, ipod, ipad, iphone, Apple tv....). All of my clients are PC. So far I've not had a single issue and I don't have Microsoft Office either. I use iWork and just save my documents in PC format or as a pdf.

KieraLacy

I am 100% mac user so that is nice hear that it hasn't been an issue. I just remember when I was working in the office it was always an issue with other agencies not being able to see our documents. But I will just have to keep it in mind when I talk to a client to as if they are PC users or not, maybe I should put that on my contact info check list when I have a new client contact me.

Susankelly

I think Kiera that must have been a while ago. I open up Word documents in my Apple Pages every day without a single problem and my PC clients open mine with no issues.

Blessedmomof5

Hi Kiera, I'm a Mac user - but I have Word, Excel and Powerpoint. I use pages and also export it into Word for my clients. No problem at all.
j

KieraLacy

I was thinking of maybe getting word, excel and power point, if I have any issues I might do that to avoid problems.

Sue Reaume

I am just starting out as a VA and I am using a MacBook Pro and was wondering the same thing but I also split my Mac and added Windows...I used VMware and so I have both just in case....the only issue that I think may be of concern is that I have Windows XP and it doesn't support the newest version of Microsoft Office 2011. (well at least that is what my techi guy told me). I am planning though on staying on the Mac side mostly...but based on all the software out there, I think that everything is pretty much compatible...but who am I to say...i am so very new at this...

I am a Mac user and absolutely love it...I'll never go back to a PC again. However, most of my clients are PC users. I have had sime problems. Like when formatting things in emails or Constant Contact, they look different on their screen than they do on mine. Also, sometimes they want me to use a program that is not available in a Mac version. Things like that but I had a successful business and find ways to work around it.

KieraLacy

I love my mac and would never go back, but if for some reason I have major issues I might just get a pc to do work on. But that is only if I find really big issues which by the sound of things won't be the case! :)

thevirtuallink

I have a Mac and like KieraLacy said, I will never go back! I use a program called Parallels Desktop which allows me to run Windows like a program. That allows me to use all of my Windows based programs there, include MS Office since I prefer it to the Mac version.

One downside is that it really slows things down so I only use Parallels when I need to and I don't go back and forth between Mac and PC when it's running.

Susankelly

You can do that with Bootcamp too, I think it's built into your Mac but either way I read that when you run part of your Mac as Windows you need to have anti virus software installed because once you run it like a PC its open to all the various viruses and such that PC's get.

Sue Reaume

KieraLacy, also look into VMWare...I have tried parallels and it kept crashing my computer but what ever you use, you really need to have antivirus software on the PC side too and back up

suncoastmomma

I'm a Mac girl and while I haven't launched yet I don't see there being a big issue for me. I guess it depends on what services you will be offering.