Lotus, A luxury goods company - possible scam

jeannedb

New Member
This came across a Michigan VA mail-list. The person that received the email doesn't even have a resume on CareerBuilder (first clue that it's a scam of course).

From: chadwick sorel [mailto:jesse0975@att.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 2:14 PM
To: email address removed by me
Subject: Re: Response to Resume

Lotus, a luxury goods company, based in Netherlands, is currently seeking
virtual assistants to work at the convenience of their home, part-time. We
have reviewed your resume on Careerbuilder and would like to consider you
for this position.

Lotus presents the best off-season luxury finds from the most prestigious
international designers and collectibles from the rarest collections at
irresistible prices.

Candidates for the job should possess excellent organizational skills as
well as the ability to efficiently multi-task. Ideal candidates have a
strong focus on day-to-day operational excellence, and a personal style that
builds trust, and inspires loyalty. The candidate should be motivated,
proactive, be able to learn and adapt quickly.

Other duties of the Virtual Assistant include, but are not limited to:

? Incorporating effective priorities for the virtual office function
? Administer day-to-day financial responsibilities for clients
? Reporting online daily
? Preparing brief summary reports, and weekly financial reports

Salary part-time: $1,200/month, plus commission.

In the attachments you will find the agreement with a detailed job
description. If you are interested in this trial period, which will last for
two months, during which you will receive training, salary, and commission,
please see the attached agreement. Upon successful completion of the trial
period you will receive a contract to continue working with Lotus, have an
option to change from part-time to full-time or continue working part-time.

Please read carefully the trial period agreement, complete, sign, and
forward back to us either via email to Kate.Stewart@lotus-jobs.com or by fax
+31-20-890-8567. If you have any questions please email
Kate.Stewart@lotus-jobs.com

Thank You,
Lotus Team
I googled the first line of the email and found a posting on a usenet group that appeared to have come from a different email address (but who knows really).

The person who received this did not post the attachments. In fact, I'm not even certain that she opened them. But it does appear to be a scam.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Why do all of these scams offer $1,200 per month? (That seems to be a common theme among them)
Thanks for posting Jeanne - I sent them an email of interest to see if I could get any more perspective on what they're up to and copies of the attachments. I'll post back if anything comes up.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
I actually rec'd a reply and did open the attachment (a word doc with out any company letterhead, address, NOTHING to ID who or what or where...)

I honestly can't tell if it's a scam or just really shoddy paperwork BUT the doc is a 'contract' of sorts and if you sign it you are labeled 'Employee'.
There is NO info about rate of pay, compensation for the 'employee' or what the actual job is.
Also, the domain they use for email comes up as a 403 (forbidden)

Either way, not something I would bother to pursue.
Just because I felt like playing Devil's advocate, I wrote back and told her what I thought of her 'contract' and it's lack of real info as well as defined the role of a VA for her. ;)

vainparadise

New Member
Aren't you on a roll tonight Tess ;)

Too many scams lately and the spam on CL is amazing lately. Anyone see the VA add that the person charges $5 and hour?

virtual writing

New Member
It's crazy! As - I think it was - Tess pointed out, people must be falling right and left for these scams, else they wouldn't proliferate like this. Sigh. Whata world.

jeannedb

New Member
I think there are a lot of young women (mostly women) trying to break into this field and some are desperate for that first client and for others the idea of a monthly income potential is tempting.

soozyq60

Guest
I received an email offering a job from Lotus. When I started to research them, I couldnt ever find anything. They sent me the contract which was basically a word doc with no letterhead, address, contact information. When I responded to the email asking specific questions, I never received any response.

Top