In what way does your client send all your tasks?

Marj Weekender

I do part time with one client and do another full time with another one. They both send all their to-do-list through email that really mess up:yikes: my inbox every day. I sometimes miss to do some other task.

Just wondering how your clients arrange it?:book: And how'd they know that you have completed all the tasks?

Hi Marj,
A solution might be to color code their emails (different color font) OR create folders under your inbox labeled the 'client's name tasks'. Then create rules for the two difference clients so any time your client sends you an email, it is automatically sent to that task folder for that client. Your job would then be to check task folder.

OR

You could set up a Dropbox account with a folder for each of your clients. Create a task sheet that would remain in their Dropbox folder. Any time they have a new task to delegate, they add it to the task list.

Hope this helps.

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
Use a project management system. This will allow them to upload their tasks, files, attachments etc as well as track progress and set deadlines. That will leave your inbox clean.

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
I set up a separate email box using the Rules option in Outlook so all of the client emails are routed to a unique box to be read later.

I also use Dropbox for large files.

I used to use a project management program such as Basecamp for clients but I was OK with other options without the cost. But I may bring that back as I get busier.

Janine

Marj Weekender

That's what I usually do Miss Fatima, labeling folder. With regards to using dropbox, none of them are using dropbox and whenever I update them the compilation of what I do I really have to send it back to them through email. No choice.

Successisforme

My clients either email me their information or we use Dropbox. Dropbox has proven to be more effective since it is a file sharing system.

I find Base Camp very useful and VERY easy to use. It's what I've decided to go with...but in the meantime, I set rules for my inbox so that clients go directly into their folder. Easier to keep track of.

VaVaVirtual

We use Basecamp and love it. Since we've gotten busier, it really helps to keep us organized. Your clients can assign you "to-dos" and due dates. It's worth the monthly fee on our opinion and it doesn't take up space in your email.

reneesimone

How do VA's convince their clients to use project management software like Basecamp rather than their 'go to' method of emailing etc?

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Renee,

I don't have to convince clients to use project management software. When I sign a client, I explain what the process is if they want to work with me.

It's important as a business owner to implement policy and procedures for clients who want to work with you.

If they prefer to use email and you don't find that a project management program is necessary, then you can certainly oblige the client. But there are times where emails can be missed and using PM software helps to eliminate that. I have a client now who refuses to create new emails every time she sends me something. She just keeps attaching documents to old emails that have totally different subject titles and it drives me crazy. Once I missed an email and just to make it easier for her, I implemented PM software and the problem was solved.

So often the client realizes they need help with organization so convincing them is not an issue.

Janine

The Perfect Word

Community Leader
All my clients send their work by email, which works great for me. I use Outlook, and like others have mentioned, have a folder in Outlook set up for each client.

wpanddesign

I simply use email and haven't had any issues with finding things. Some tasks get explained over the phone. But at this point with only 1 long term client and other odd jobs, email works fine.

lisa4jvs

I use either Dropbox or Google Drive. Each client has his/her own folder where they can load assignments. We have a 5-minute call each week for reviews, changes, etc.

ashields1133

I use Outlook, with each client having a separate file. I use Basecamp with one of my clients and I LOVE it. It's her acct., but if I ever get busy enough where email is overwhelming, I'll definitely fork out the money for it.