How to get clients?

deedallas

I would like to know where is a good start to getting clients. Can someone point me in the right direction. I feel f I get at least one client. It will let me know that i have made the right decision to becoming a VA. I have been wanting to Start my own VA business for so long and now I am feeling some kind of way and It's not a Good feeling.:eek::eek::confusion:

ennovationc

Re: Greetings

Finding, interviewing, and hiring a new employee, takes a lot of diligence and hard work and it’s particularly disappointing and costly if one leaves. When new employees join a company, it’s crucial to give them the direction and guidance they need to get off on the right foot. Here’s an article from Dunn and Bradstreet that outlines everything a manager should do to help their new employees succeed including learning some things about the employees to instituting a buddy system.

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
Forgive me for being perceived as rude but why on earth are we discussing employees here? We are not employees and that mindset must go.

As far as finding clients, there are tons of posts here on marketing, finding clients and good practices. There is no one right way to find clients and for some it happens quickly. For others not so much.

Our Janine has a wonderful RFP book that gives you lots of tips on what to do, where to look and what not to do.

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Hi Dee,

One moment here while I digress but as Lee mentions, I have no idea why Ennovation Consulting is referring to employees. Virtual assistants are not employees. Further there is no link to a Dunn and Bradstreet article.

There is much here on VAF about finding that first client. Please use the search feature for great suggestions as to where you can begin.

I will offer a quick summary:

The most important factor is to know who it is you want to work with. So your website and your overall web presence has to appeal to this market. Your blog must offer value to this audience as your social media posts and the audience with whom you want to make a connection.

From there, decide how much time you want to spend on marketing your business.

Consider volunteering your services to an organization where you can hone your skills and obtain testimonials.

Consider RFPs (thanks, Lee for the nod!) and write proposals that stand out from the crowd. Personalize and customize each proposal for that potential client and explain what it is that you can do for them to provide solutions to their problems.

Join LinkedIn discussions and offer value and expertise to those discussions. Have a great profile ready creating curiosity leading folks back to your website to contact you for services.

Offer to subcontract with other VAs. There are VA wanted ads posted here that can offer a great start and the much needed testimonials for marketing purposes.

Network with people continually.

Janine

HopefullyVA

I just started earlier this month and last week decided to give Elance and Odesk a try. I work part time and my husband earns a decent living, so I just need supplemental income and the fact that Elance and Odesk are low pay jobs is fine by me. Right now I just want to get my feet wet so I can gain experience, testimonials and referrals. Created my accounts last week and I already have two job offers. I am also networking up the wazoo for at least two hours a day on LinkedIn, Facebook and these forums so I hope to get some job leads that way too. With patience and hardwork I think the clients will come. Good luck!

Like Janine said above, look into subcontracting for other VAs. You'll learn which work schedule fits you, which tools/programs that you're good at, and gain experience.

Also, if the VA loves your subcontracting work, they'll probably refer you to other VAs and clients!

Great ideas everyone! I am really interested in subcontracting for other VAs to gain experience as Lorena mentioned. I will keep my eyes on the VA wanted ads posted here on the forums to get an idea of what is needed.

Miss K

Hi Dee

That bad feeling will pass! You can rest assured that we've all been in your position.

As multi-talented VA’s we tend to/need to offer a multitude of services to attract/retain clients but as you’re new to the VA world, I would say that being able to serve everyone will only make it harder to find someone.

To begin with, just focus your attention and marketing efforts on one particular service you offer i.e. bookkeeping and this will direct you to your first client. :heart:

Last edited:

GaryM

It is so difficult to find clients. Maybe it's just a different climate here in the UK when it comes to being a Virtual Assistant? I realise many of the successful ones are located in the USA.

I have tried looking for work on Elance and oDesk but it's full of exploitative practises. I'm not prepared to work for $2 an hour!

I wonder if any clients in the USA would hire someone located overseas? I suppose there is the added benefit that if work was completed on GMT then everything would be completed by the time they wake up in the morning. :D

Gary

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Hi Gary,

What is the climate in the UK that you speak of?

Yes, clients do hire overseas. I would look for US clients that need a UK connection first. In fact, you could market yourself as the UK-connection and state all the objections that an overseas client might have such as currency issues, language barriers (or lack of since it is the UK) and the benefits of working with you.

Janine

debbie5

Are the VA subcontracting opportunities through "Virtual Assistantville?" I bought a monthly package in order to see the subcontracting listings.

Am I doing this correctly in the hopes of finding work with other VA's?

I do NOT have a website up and running yet, but working on it.

In order to be a subcontractor, is it best to have my own website first? I did notice that when viewing RFP's and if I would happen to be interested in one, they want to see your business website.

Thanks,
Debbie

One of the best way to land a god client

is to start on writing interesting blog or

blog commenting it is the best way to

showcase your talent to everyone. And also

one important thing is to know what do you

want to work with and who do you want to

work with. Considering your clients need

will help you to get the job done easily.

Mariane Lacaba(Elitework)

Shahzad Hussain

I agree with all of you.
I am also on searching stage and sometimes I also loose my passion.
But still working hard on searching and more searching on different webs, forums and blogs for clients.
Hopefully, I will get client soon.
Need your assistance.. !

Afif Naoumi

In-person networking – While this was the most terrifying for me, it became easier over time and eventually became something I loved. This avenue supplied me with a huge stack of business cards to which I am utilizing today (through LinkedIn) and I can honestly say I have a client from attending an in-person networking meeting. In-person networking is time consuming and can be expensive, but it is not dead!

Cold-calls – This avenue was another terrifying reach for an introvert like myself. I wrote a script, practiced and eventually made the first terrifying phone call. What I realized though, it’s not so scary once I learned not to take a refusal of my phone call personally. Busy business owners don’t always want to be disturbed by a “sales call.” You will get people like that and you just need to move on.

Mailings – I made several attempts to send postcards to many of the contacts from my large stack of business cards. I received a few responses from this avenue, but no signed-on client. It’s time consuming to create the postcard and costly to send. Not the best option, for me.

LinkedIn – This avenue has worked very well for me. I took that huge stack of business cards went through it and connected with those very same people I already met face to face. Sending a message on LinkedIn that I’d like to connect and referring to our previous meeting helped them recall me and made for more connections. Along with those connections, I sent messages reminding them of my virtual assistant services. I also use LinkedIn Premium (paid monthly subscription) and have benefited greatly from their “InMail” services. I can go into more detail on how to use that at a later date, but I have had 5 interested potential clients in one week!

All of these avenues link together and have given me great exposure to other small businesses. I recommend trying different avenues until you find one that clicks and gets you many hits!

Best Wishes
staff-india.com

Wantedz

I do see some entry level VA jobs listed on Wantedz...might be worth checking them out..anyway just a thought.
Cheers
Phyllis

There are some really great tips posted here and I think each of them will work, but the important thing to remember is to be consistent because client attraction isn't always immediate. Another good option is hosting free events in your local area. You could offer a short training session on a service you offer. For example: if you provide social media management; you can offer a beginner's social media workshop for small business owners. This will help you build credibility and give you an attentive audience to promote your services to after the workshop.

Good Luck!
Trena