How to design a logo

Allie11

Hi everyone! What does everyone use to design their logo? I am wanting to start playing around with the design on my own and not sure what program/software is the best. Thanks!

Virtual Alex

In the past I have used Design Mantic (http://www.designmantic.com). They have free, simple logos you can create yourself. Then you can download the logo and use it for whatever you need (website, t-shifts, business cards, banners, etc.).

I have been putting off getting a logo this time because I got busy with other things! I'll be interested to hear who people are currently using.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
A LONG time ago when I was first starting out I used a software called The Logo Maker - it was all prefab graphics and backgrounds, effects, and more - it was pretty cool, VERY easy to use, and was something I discovered (and was skilled enough to use) LONG before I found and learned Photoshop and Fireworks.

I tried to see if it was still around but can't tell if what I'm finding on Google is the same software.

What I did find when I search for 'the logo maker' or 'logo maker' is a TON of free online options for designing logos.

That said, free doesn't always equate to high quality but these can be good tools to help you create a general concept or vision to share with a designer or company you might work with.

Good luck!

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
I have used LogoNerds in the past with good results. The price is under $50.

One tip is to have a general idea of what you want including colors and some aspect of design. Tess' idea above to play around with free software is a great idea to get some general idea for when you pay for a design.

Janine

The Perfect Word

Community Leader
I'm thinking about updating mine, as it really isn't a created logo but an image I found years ago that I liked. I really don't use very often now except on my website, so thinking it might be a time to change as I'm also getting ready to make a few design changes to my site. (This year will be my 20th business year anniversary, so just feeling I want a bit of a change!) All this is super information!

Hi there! I haven't been on VAF in a while and I'm catching up on posts. I like Inkscape. It's a free vector graphics program. If you're not familiar with similar programs (I'm not), it can be a little daunting with all of the functions it offers, but if you have some time to play around with it, you can search the web for instructions on anything specific you want to do. You can save files in .svg format (scalable vector graphics), which allows you to easily re-size an image without distortion. There are other file formats available too. Although it doesn't offer .jpg, you can save a .png and convert to .jpg if needed.

jwittedesigns

I would recommend using a professional to create a logo, they are more knowledgeable than just creating a pretty graphic. But if you really want to do it on your own you will need to make sure your logo is a vector graphic. This is important because a vector graphic will allow you to resize the image without getting blurry. Also, you will need to make sure you save the logo in both color modes, RGB for web and CMYK for print. Adobe Illustrator is the best program to make a logo.

I don't recommend Fiverr and similar sites, because most of those designs only come in a raster image and most are typically copying a copyrighted design. You want to make sure that your logo is unique to your company. If it is a copy of another business's, that business has the legal right to tell you to stop using it and could potentially sue you. Please be careful when using those sites. Research the designs that they provide and make sure there isn't another design that looks exactly or even similar out there.

I hope I don't scare you away, I just want to make sure you know all that goes into logo design. It's fun to design a logo. Even if you decide to draw a design you like, you can hire a graphic designer to create it in a vector program for you.

ZailAip

Hi everyone! What does everyone use to design their logo? I am wanting to start playing around with the design on my own and not sure what program/software is the best. Thanks!
For me, the best software you can use is Adobe Photoshop, but it is quite pricey. If you want to create your logo at a very affordable price, you can use CANVA. I am using Canva right now for my portfolio since adobe photoshop is expensive for a newbie but if you can afford the price of adobe photoshop I suggest using that.

Mathankb

N
A LONG time ago when I was first starting out I used a software called The Logo Maker - it was all prefab graphics and backgrounds, effects, and more - it was pretty cool, VERY easy to use, and was something I discovered (and was skilled enough to use) LONG before I found and learned Photoshop and Fireworks.

I tried to see if it was still around but can't tell if what I'm finding on Google is the same software.

What I did find when I search for 'the logo maker' or 'logo maker' is a TON of free online options for designing logos.

That said, free doesn't always equate to high quality but these can be good tools to help you create a general concept or vision to share with a designer or company you might work with.

Good luck!
Good