Help Answering this Question

deedallas

Greetings VA's
I am applying on a few VA sites and I have been asked this question.
Describe your relevant experience and qualifications..
How would you answer this question being that I am New and have yet to get my first client. :yikes::yikes:

I would like to know that answer too. Do you currently work full time or is this the only thing you go? I'm working but hopefully will transition to become a VA full time.

moiraesfate

Dee, are you applying to these sites as a VA (meaning, a business owner) or an employee? I ask because that's how it sounds. Remember, you are a business owner if you are a VA. Even as a subcontractor, you wouldn't be applying.

deedallas

Thank you the reason I was inquiring about this question, is because I was on Elance and I was considering this route to one get experience and practice and maybe a testimony.But f u feel this is not a good avenue to venture Please advise. Dee

moiraesfate

Alot of people have tried with Elance. I did myself for almost a year and never once managed to get a client. I found that either they want to hire the people that already show they have alot of 4 and 5 star reviews behind them rather than new people, or they want to hire cheap so people from other countries pick them up because they can afford to work for less. It's very hard to get ahead on Elance and Odesk. I wouldn't say that you shouldn't try, but I highly recommend against using it as your only avenue of getting clients.

About two years ago, I had been trying to make a go of the VA career for about 3 or 4 months. I was heavily involved in different forums online, LinkedIn, etc. I even had an article printed about my husband and I and our business when someone requested to interview me. I was involved in the local Chamber of Commerce, and was going for meetings. Then I found a job that basically took over my life because I wasn't making any real money at being a VA yet (I made about $100 in that time period as a VA) and I had to let it go for a while. Right before I stopped actively promoting it, I had three RFP's in a couple of weeks sent to my business address, two in one week. Oddly, the local scene was useless to me, it was all from online sources (just not Elance, Odesk, Fiverr, etc). I decided to let it go for the moment as the new job quite literally took over our lives where we were working 14 hours a day, 7 days a week.

So it is possible. If you focus on it.

deedallas

Alot of people have tried with Elance. I did myself for almost a year and never once managed to get a client. I found that either they want to hire the people that already show they have alot of 4 and 5 star reviews behind them rather than new people, or they want to hire cheap so people from other countries pick them up because they can afford to work for less. It's very hard to get ahead on Elance and Odesk. I wouldn't say that you shouldn't try, but I highly recommend against using it as your only avenue of getting clients.

About two years ago, I had been trying to make a go of the VA career for about 3 or 4 months. I was heavily involved in different forums online, LinkedIn, etc. I even had an article printed about my husband and I and our business when someone requested to interview me. I was involved in the local Chamber of Commerce, and was going for meetings. Then I found a job that basically took over my life because I wasn't making any real money at being a VA yet (I made about $100 in that time period as a VA) and I had to let it go for a while. Right before I stopped actively promoting it, I had three RFP's in a couple of weeks sent to my business address, two in one week. Oddly, the local scene was useless to me, it was all from online sources (just not Elance, Odesk, Fiverr, etc). I decided to let it go for the moment as the new job quite literally took over our lives where we were working 14 hours a day, 7 days a week.

So it is possible. If you focus on it.
Thank You. I guess it is like anything else New it's Hard in the beganing. But Thank You for replying to my post. I will keep at it because I want this in my life. I will keep you informed on my progress. Thanks again.

Susankelly

I'm not, nor have I ever been, on any of those sites but if you think you have the experience and qualifications to be a VA, just describe those on the freelance sites.

So for example I'd say business degree, 30 years marketing experience at the small business and corporate levels, licensed RE agent, project management, business management, HTML & CSS, blah blah. Just tell them what you can do.

I looked at those sites and really felt that my time would be better spent getting clients of my own. But I know a lot of people have taken that route.

jessica-a

My experience on Elance has been similar to Moiraesfate. I've had much better luck responding to RFPs and networking.

deedallas

Thank You to all that have given me your advise and opinions. I will Completely take all the information that you all have provided.:applause: