Google voice question

Susankelly

I've noticed recently that if I get calls on my VA phone number (Google Voice) they rarely leave any voice message. I was just on the phone with one of my regular clients and a call came in from Google Voice and sure enough they didn't leave a message.

Google Voice gives me the number that called. Should I call them back? I sometimes feel it's a bit intrusive because if they wanted something they would have left a "call me back" message. How do you all feel about this?

Secondly, had they sent a text message I could have at least answered them, while I was talking to my client. Can people text me via my google voice number? I think I have it set up that way but no one has ever texted me that way so I'm not sure it works.

Is it weird to say on my web site that you'll get answered faster if you text me as opposed to call? I've been working a couple of days a week for one of my clients and a lot of it is on the phone so it would be so much easier if people would text instead of called because again they seem very hesitant to leave a voice mail message.

teel03

One of my clients has had a similar problem and we end up getting him a 1800 voice mail number from E-voice for his website and he calls people back from his cell phone. That has totally eliminated his Google number.

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
I get a lot of calls on my Voice number that don't leave a message. Not too worried about it because those are usually vendors trying to sell me something, tire kickers or brain pickers. If someone wants to talk about a real issue, a referral or some work they always leave a message.

I would not call back if they don't leave a message.

Susankelly

Thanks Lee, I didn't call them back because like I said if they really wanted something I'm sure they would have left a message. So far I don't get a lot of vendors calling me. I hope that doesn't start up!

vrsi-office

Susan,

It appears that Google Voice does have a text function. See here. (I love RingCentrals text feature. I use it with clients all the time.)

As for calling numbers that do not leave a message, I agree with Lee, they are often vendors or wrong numbers. If they do not leave a message I do not call them back.

You might want to consider putting in your voicemail something like: Sorry I am not avail right now, but if you need immediate assistance please text me at XXXX.

Julie

I agree with Lee those who don't leave a message are usually vendors soliciting me. I don't hesitate to call the numbers back even if they left no message it can't hurt and if you are friendly most are receptive (or shy).

If you have the time, are new to the business and and could use the potential prospective clients, I would say to return the call. I know we are in a digital age, but everyone is not into the technology enough to want to necessarily send a text message. I've worked as an Administrative Professional for over 20 years and I have to say that I've worked with folks that embraced technology and literally had their blackberry or ipad glued to their hand all day, and then there are the folks that leave the blackberry or ipad home and they don't want to be bothered by the technology. I think its all a personal choice. I'm new to this industry and so I would return the calls.

dvavirtualasst

If they leave a message, of course they get a returned call. But if its a call and hangup, I wouldnt worry about it much. Those that wanna talk to you will leave a message

LASiler

Interesting article about Google Voice.

Google Voice: Just because you can port your number, should you?
Summary: Google Voice is an amazing service, but there are some limitations and gotchas. In this article, we explore the pros and cons of the service to help you decide if it's for you.

Welcome to the 2014 edition of the Ultimate Google Voice How-To Guide, presented by ZDNet's DIY-IT blog.In this article, and the baker's dozen that accompany it, you'll learn just about everything you need to know to get the most out of the Google Voice service. This guide contains a complete end-to-end update of our 2011 Google Voice guide, chock full of new ideas, completely new articles, and amazing tips.

You'll learn how to port your landline to Google Voice, how to set up phone handsets, how to integrate Google Voice into your iPhone and Android experience, how to set up a multi-line office, how to get the most out of using Google Voice and SMS, and even how to use Google Voice effectively and safely in your car, and lots more.

So brew up a cup of coffee or your favorite tea, grab a few snacks, and prepare to discover how plain 'ol phone calls are about to be transformed into something virtually indistinguishable from magic.

more at link: http://zd.net/1kvVL7W
I'll be revisiting this when I'm ready.

Lori

KRLLC

I get those to my google voice as well but I figure that if they were actually clients who needed something, they would leave a message.

sml1170

We use Google Voice as our regular phone service and I have it set up so any texts and phone calls also ring to my cell phone. The messages and texts are also available to be viewed in the Google Voice section of your Google account.

Hope that helps!

msbarb

Okay... YES!! If you get a Google voice message EVEN IF IT IS BLANK you need to call them back.

I have been using Google Voice for a while and every-now-and-then the client will leave a message it just doesn't actually record sound. I use Google voice for family and my mother 'left many messages' that were all blank so she wasn't a happy camper about re-telling me everything. I believe it has something to do with the person's service provider? Really not sure and 'customer support' didn't help.

If the message is blank but the counter claims the message is over 1 min. long it's most likely not a hang-up.

sherinl

I love Google Voice ... but haven't used it much ... most prefer chats. Yep, even it is a blank message .. you should call back ..

I wanted to post an update regarding Google Voice. I just spoke to a support person there and he said that in order to now use Google Voice you must use it through Google Hangouts. Check out what he says and the link he sent me on how this all works:Google Voice has been recently integrated with Google Hangouts, if you want to make calls from Hangouts with your Google Voice number you can following the instructions from this Help Center article https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205713?hl=en
I was so confuse because when I went to call out via Google Voice it wasn't working and I have read alot of articles on this issue of Google Voice and was just plain confused as to if it was still available or not. I also asked him where do I go to adjust the settings for my Google Voice and this is what he said: "Yes, you'd need to configure those settings on your Hangouts account online or via the Hangouts app if you prefer.
And he also mentioned this about Google Hangouts:"Google Hangouts will also allow you to make calls without your Google Voice phone number, but you won't be able to receive incoming calls. As Hangouts calls will appear on the other side as 'Unknown' on the caller's ID.
And to Summarize All The Google Products related to communication that we talked about:
Google Voice can only be used via Google Hangouts to make landline calls.
Google Hangouts can be used as a standalone without Google Voice but only for calling out to a person.
And Google Talk is a computer to computer voice service or video service
Google Chat is like their instant messenger service.

Hope this helps anyone who was confused like me. He mentioned that Google Voice shouldn't be used as a business number as it doesn't come with support but offered me this link for help with issues: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/voice.

Last edited:

acctangel

Interesting article about Google Voice.

I'll be revisiting this when I'm ready.

Lori
Thanks for the article!!!! Definitely going to check it out. When my clients want to get in touch with me - they leave a message. I've been using Google Voice since around 2007 and never had any issues.

Angel

Emmanuel

I believe if a client needs your services and calls but couldn't reach will definitely leave a message to be reached back. One thing I is that Google Voice has SMS services because i having been using google voice for a 1 year now.

Emmanuel>

KatieNK

I would verify what your google voice number sounds like to the client when they call it and no one answers. It may not sound legit enough for them to leave a message. Also, yes you can text with it. I do it all the time! It comes in like an email