Question Food Professionals

girlsavestheday

Hi everyone,

I'm someone who is considering becoming a VA and is in the research/planning phase. On one hand I'm trying to determine if I have enough relevant experience in the field I'm passionate about, and if the professionals in that field even want or have the budget for a VA.

I was wondering if anyone has worked with a food professional - such as a chef, food blogger, retail establishment (bakery/cafe/restaurant), or other food entrepreneur - and what services you've been asked to provide.

My passion is food, particularly artisan/local food. I love nothing more than to read about it, taste it, buy it, and visit new cafes/bakeries. I am a trained pastry chef (but hardly a master at my craft) and have experience working for/with caterers, event planners, chefs, and packaged specialty foods producers. I have also taken a food entrepreneur workshop which outlines the basics of putting together a business plan for one's food startup.

I have learned that the profit margins in the food industry can be pretty narrow, depending on the business - brick and mortar especially. I am conducting some informal polling and market research to see where the pain is for these professionals.

Before I went back to school for pastry my background has been in real estate, admin, some project management, databases, email/phone/in person customer service, and light accounting. I have just begun to learn marketing for my "real" job here at a bakery, but am not really confident about my progress so far.

If anyone has worked with a food professional before, I'd love to hear about your experience. This is my first post on the forums and I want to say that all of your threads and insight have been very inspiring!

Thank you!