Facebook Question

Tamara

Hello! I have a question regarding FB business pages. I have a lead on a possible first client and their small business needs a FB presence. They asked me if I know someone and I told them that I have some knowledge, but I didnt' sell myself on doing it. Mainly, because I haven't built my FB business site yet (geting on that today), and I don't have experience in this for a client. However, I am an awesome learner, and I figured if I offered this in exchange for testimony on my webpage and link love, maybe it would be something I could do for free to get the experience. I think they might be open to this option.

Can anybody give me a link or some place where I can learn the real ins and outs of doing this? I found various places, but thought I would check with some of the experts in the field. My thoughts are that if I get it started, he might hire me to keep it current.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Tamara

LAVAS

Hi Tamara, I would see what the Facebook help section tells you first. They change so much that it might be a good first step. I haven't set up an FB page for my biz yet either but I do manage my clients pages and I think it's pretty easy to set up as they prompt you on what to do next. If you start at your home page on the left there is a column where it says Pages> Create a Page, then there are various options which I would think 'Local Business' would be the most appropriate. then FB takes you through the process of setting it up. Here is a link to HubSpot's article on how to do it as well. http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/...siness-Page-in-5-Simple-Steps-With-Video.aspx
Good luck!

Last edited:

Tamara

Thanks Lorree! I set my page up yesterday and it seems pretty straight forward. The help section is, well, helpful! LOL! I noticed when I was searching for help on Google and lots of the information was not quite right since FB does change their site frequently. I guess I need to come up with a template on what questions to ask and what information is needed. If setting up the client's page is similar to setting up my own, it shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the link and I will check it out as well. Have a great day!

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Tamara,

I would suggest you not give away your services for free. No matter what, your knowledge and time is valuable. You could charge one package fee for just the set up but there is more to earn if you can maintain the page for them in conjunction with their other sites.

I would take a look at the store here on VAF and Luz Donahue's social media eBook. It is reasonably priced and is all you need to learn social media. You will find that you can charge more and offer more if you can work in other social media venues such as LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook instead of just one platform.

You can check out YouTube for any tutorials you may need. If you Google all of your questions you will find answers and there are guides you can download that will offer tons of info. Just google, "How to use social media effectively' and there is quite a bit to there to study.

Setting up the client's FB page will be the same as your own as you are both in business and wish to attract customers back to your websites.

Does the client want you to simply set the site up or do they want you to maintain it?

Janine

Susankelly

I agree with Janine, don't sell yourself short and don't give work away for free. I don't say "no" to much and if I've never done something before or am learning a new piece of software, I'll lower my fee a bit while I learn it but I don't give any work away for free.

Tamara

Thank you both for the honest input. Since this specific business offers a health and wellness service, I thought that I could ask for a couple of comps since this was my first attempt at doing this. I know this is an area I want to focus on in the future and there does seem to be lots to learn. I do feel up to the challenge, and excited about it as well. This business is not in my target market since I'm targeting women business owners who are passionate about making a difference in the lives of others. But, when he mentioned that he was looking for somebody, I felt compelled to at least try the water. Thank you again so much. Your advice is so appreciated!

ANMiami

I have only been here a short while but in every post I have come across Susan and Janine, I find the give very sage advice. I totally agree with them on this and I totally agree with them on this. Don't sell yourself short. :)

dvavirtualasst

Did they happen to mention to you what they wanted you to do? Is it just set up the page or will you be one of the ongoing administrators?

VN Linda

Hi Tamara

Check out amazon for the kindle ebooks they have free marketing / social media books available I know there was one about Facebook the other day. I only recently discovered this through the VA page on FB its been great find for myself !

I also had the same idea about helping a their small business profile on FB start up in return for some recommendation on my website but seeing Susan and Janine saying not to give away free work I am thinking again on this as I was thinking of it as a trade rather than free !

Tamara

Margaret, he just happened to mention it in passing that he was looking for someone "really good" to get "on the Facebook." He and his wife run this local health and wellness treatment center and it I was sensing a possible opportunity. I mentioned that I knew some about it, but did not sell myself since I have no real experience (still kicking myself for that one). His situation would be sort of a trade of some services and a testimonial if I do it. I would only set it up. Anything else would come with a contract. I will probably revisit him soon and feel out what he is looking for exactly. In the meantime, I will be studying thanks to all the good tips here. And now a new one from VNLinda!

ChiVA

I don't do any social media for clients, and just started with my own, so I would use this client as the "learning curve" (with the client's knowledge/permission, of course)... I would do it for free to get my feet wet, as long as it wasn't going to be too time consuming (and I would have that all in writing - maybe something like 2-3 hours per week, if that).

Then, assuming all is going well/is well, I would use that client as a testimonial. I would have then gained confidence with hands-on experience in an area I was not very familiar with and then be able to confidently charge the next client for any social media.

It's not the norm, but it's what I would do. Good luck! :)

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Understand that most people will give a testimonial anyway if the work is good and you meet or exceed their expectations. There is no reason to give away free services for a testimonial. Most people want to help others and the testimonials also help to promote their businesses as well.

Janine