Difference between retainer and package?

Brookie

Hi all..I'm a bit confused on what are the differences between "retainers" and packages? When I say packages I'm referring to let's say you have packages for 10 hours/month, 20 hours/month, and 30 hours/month..Are those considered packages or retainers? OR are they interchangeable terms?

Also..this may be a silly question..but let's say someone takes the 10 hour a month package and after 2 weeks, you go through the 10 hours. Then would you have them take another package right then in the middle of the month? (if they need more work done) OR would you charge them an hourly rate until the next month, then they renew a package?

Lastly...If I have the client pay up front for a package (which is standard right?) I just need to give them an invoice or receipt? I signed up for Fresh Books so will send invoices from there. Am I forgetting anything? Thanks!!!

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
A retainer is not necessarily the same thing as a package. I think you'll find the information in this webinar on pricing and packaging services we did a few months back helpful.

Re: running out of hours during a retainer, my answer to this question might be helpful to you.

Re: receipts - the Freshbooks and PayPal receipts will suffice for tax purposes.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Brookie - Lisa is hosting another free webinar on package pricing tomorrow - it's not too late to sign up and I know you'd find the info useful! You can register here.