Design for multiple devices

clemrick

How many of you have clients who use something other than a computer with a full-size screen when looking at the Internet?

I have been looking at other VA websites to get ideas for my own. When using my little net-book I found a VA site with a great web design that didn't look good on a smaller screen and was horrible to navigate.

WordPress sites seem to do well with varying screen sizes and other simpler designs also do well. When designing your site it might be a good idea to look at it with smaller screens.

Oh, and go back after a week or two and read EVERYTHING on your website. I was surprised at how many typos I saw on VA websites.

Barbara

CandiceD

I decided to go with responsive design for my website. I just redesigned it last week, but before that...it was just like you described, looked great on a full sized monitor, but absolutely horrible on a tablet.

I had an alternate design for mobile devices, but it was condensed info. Now with responsive design, everything shows up, and looks good no matter what device someone is using to look at it.

With wordpress..I *think* that there is a plugin one can install to optimize the site for mobile so its pretty easy for someone to do, but Im not sure how it looks for tablets or other devices.

Thanks for the reminder on spell check...Im actually still tweaking my website, but Im 100% sure I didnt spell check anything before putting it up live, so I need to go back and do that.

clemrick

Yeah, now that WordPress and other platforms have solved the browser compatibility problems, we now have to worry about all the different devices people use to access the Internet and run their businesses. Responsive design helps to do that.

Susankelly

Be aware that even responsive WP themes need to be checked. One of the builders I work for has a WP Theme and when I needed some info off his website to do a project for him I saw that on the iPhone version there are no pictures, just the text.

I didn't design his website, I don't know enough about WP to do it yet (one day I hope) but his bread and butter really is having clients see his work. His WP iphone version is just the text. Right now he gets 90% of his business by referral so he's fine with this (I'm not) but it's just an example that you still need to check a site you create to be sure it's what you want it to be.

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
Barbara,

If using WP then get a truly responsive design. Meaning one that is coded that way and does not rely on a plug-in for use on devices. There are some great premium themes out there that are mobile responsive with many more being designed to today's standards.

With technology changes and different browsers you are never going to find one that works 100% on every type of device or browser. That should not stop you from testing all the scenarios and making it fit as best possible.

CandiceD

I totally agree...the plug ins that Ive seen mostly are just to create a web version of the site, which is a decent temporary fix since going responsive really does mean starting new and having to reorganize the layout of your website.

But with all the different sized devices out there nowadays, I really think responsive is the way to go because its flexible and moves with the screen size to make sure your site always looks the best it can.

lmgarc

When using WP, you can search the themes using "responsive" and resize your browser in different ways to see how it responds! Every time I make substantial edits to my new site, I check it on my iPhone, my guy's Android, and my Kindle just to see how it looks.

I don't know MUCH about WP, but using one of these themes as your foundation will save a LOT of headache in the future.

Susankelly

I'm going to say that website, Quirktools, is a good idea but it's not actually what my site looks like in the various tools.

What it does is take your website and if its made lets say in 1000x800 and an iphone screen is only 3 inches x 4 inches (or whatever it is now) then it showed my website with only the horizontal 3 inches and vertically 4 inches.

However, my website actually changes size so the entire thing fits into your screen regardless of what device you are on (which really isn't considered multi device friendly because the text is so small on a smart phone, so you have to zoom in to read it - a pain).

At any rate I just checked my site in an iphone, macbook air, and ipad and it looks nothing like what they show me on Quirktools, bummer.

I use to do webdesign in the dark ages of it... when you actually had to write code and a rule then was you HAD to check it in various browsers and such because those online tools (they had them then too) were not exactly they way they looked. I think that still holds true.

CandiceD

Susan, it sounds like what you have is a responsive design? There are tools for that, two of the ones I use is Responsive Design Bookmarklet http://responsive.victorcoulon.fr its a bookmarklet so all I have to do is go to the site I want to check, click the button, and it will show me how the site responds to different screen sizes by device.

BTW if you are finding that the text is too small on devices, thats something you can adjust in CSS. So like say the issue is specifically mobile devices, then in the css that adjusts your website for the smallest screen size, add in to make the font text bigger for that screen size.

And no worries, some of us are still in the dark ages...lol Ive never really sat still to learn all the features of Dreamweaver, and since I dont know all the shortcuts, I end up doing most everything by hand coding anyway. :) But thats a good thing I because if...or rather *when!!!* something goes wrong lol I can check out the code and just fix it.

Susankelly

My site isn't WP - yet. I plan to learn it this fall/winter when things on Cape Cod die down to a wimper. This is our "season" and I've got a ton of commitments. Although I have a few clients I'm still really in the start up phase so I've got a website I did in iWeb and then tweaked. Nothing great but it did get me a client!

Susan