Dedicated room for home office

oofva

When you work at home, it is really easy to blur the lines between work and home life and that's a very slippery slope. You need to have a work-life balance and by having a dedicated room, you can walk out of the office for the day, close the door, and not think about work until tomorrow.

If you're in the US, then your dedicated office space can be included in your taxes (along with the respective percentage of all those "other" things like heating, trash removal, electricity, etc.).

Make your boundaries and stick to them :)

Best of luck!
D-

AuroraMuse

No Problem! Now if only I could figure out what to do with the rest of my family, haha..we live on the same property so they come knocking around or yelling in the yard.

Also, I would think that if you have a dedicated office you both use together you can still write part of it off. You would write your part of the room and he would write off his part. But that's just a guess..you'd have to talk to an accountant.

Oh and YES Distractions are easy with this set up, as D mentioned blurring work and life it reminded me of our own struggles earlier on. We struggled quite a bit with that but once we created rules and were strict with ourselves, it wasn't much of a problem. But now that his schedule got more into the evenings and outside of the house its been tough for me to find a working schedule on my end so that we can have some off time together during the day but I can stay productive and focused (since everyone else is free in the evening to request my attention). But we are getting back on track setting up new schedules (that also include work out time! WOO!).

Its definitely possible but not always the easiest..then again running your own business isn't usually an easy task. But if its something you want its worth the try.

:)

acctangel

When you work at home, it is really easy to blur the lines between work and home life and that's a very slippery slope. You need to have a work-life balance and by having a dedicated room, you can walk out of the office for the day, close the door, and not think about work until tomorrow.

If you're in the US, then your dedicated office space can be included in your taxes (along with the respective percentage of all those "other" things like heating, trash removal, electricity, etc.).

Make your boundaries and stick to them :)

Best of luck!
D-
Totally agree with Denise. :applause:

jessica-a

I agree with Oofva: it's so important to have boundaries between your work life and your home life, and having a dedicated office is one of those things I find necessary to help maintain those boundaries (and my ever-dwindling sanity!).

taskbarge

I always recommend a space dedicated for office work at home as it increases productivity and reduce distractions.

michelle411

I had to keep in mind that as my business needs grew, so would my office space needs. When I purchase my home, I chose a room with a window view just in case I felt a little cooped up too long in one space. It just so happens that it was also the smallest bedroom in the house. Now, since my office needs have grown because I work from home sometimes, I've had to switch rooms to one of the larger ones. Luckily, I still have a window view and can let the morning sunshine in to help me with feeling isolated. Switching rooms also gave me the chance to pitch (or donate) some of the old files and junk I had accumulated over the years.

Emmanuel

I agree with you all, the need for a dedicated home office. I share part of my bed room as my office but when I need to reflex on some issues am distracted because the whole atmosphere is a bedroom setting. I have no girlfriend, pet or room mate around now but with the experience you all have share and what's am experiencing I need to opt for a dedicated office space either at home or rent outside.