Can I use language already published online?

JenCharles2014

I am also just starting my VA business but I am finding a lot of info on a lot of blog sites that are useful information. I also would like more idea's on contracts.

1. Is it OK to use the information I find on other sites on my page or is that a copyright? I don't want it to seam like I am using their information to pass it off as my own but I would like to share it for current & potential clients.

2. Do I have to pay for the books advertised on these feeds to get ahead or can the info be passed on as good gesture?

More information now for me is better as i have to turn in my first contract in the morning. So nervous that I wont have the right information.

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Re: Contracts for Packaged Services

I am also just starting my VA business but I am finding a lot of info on a lot of blog sites that are useful information. I also would like more idea's on contracts.

1. Is it OK to use the information I find on other sites on my page or is that a copyright? I don't want it to seam like I am using their information to pass it off as my own but I would like to share it for current & potential clients.

2. Do I have to pay for the books advertised on these feeds to get ahead or can the info be passed on as good gesture?

More information now for me is better as i have to turn in my first contract in the morning. So nervous that I wont have the right information.
Hi Jennifer,

Copying information from anyone and calling it your own is considered plagiarism in any business unless you have permission from the owner to do so. A number of sites permit downloads of their materials with the stipulation of giving credit where credit is due.

In the end you will want your own contracts branded with your own company logo created by you and customized for your business and your clients.

In the case of putting contracts together, you are better off purchasing contract packs as Tess suggested which allow you to modify them for your own purposes. It's just easier to do.

My own contracts are a mixture of my own stipulations and requirements modified over time. I used a standard contract as a foundation and as I did the research I modified my contracts as I went along. The Contracts Pack expedites this process so I do recommend you consider this option.

As for your question about purchasing books, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are there books for sale on these sites that you feel obligated to purchase?

Please clarify this for me and I'll be more than pleased to respond.

Best,

Janine

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jen, I agree with Janine's answers to your questions - just wanted to add my own response (and welcome you to the forums :) )

--- It is never OK to copy content from any other website unless it specifically says on that page that the content can be used in some way (like with Creative Commons). Part of developing your business is learning how to articulate what you do, how you do it, and how that impacts your clients.

--- The entire VAF site is full of FREE information and support. That's why it exists :) to help people just like you find the information they need. The eBooks that are sold here and on other sites are copyrighted, the same as the content on other websites. The eBooks were developed to help new VAs find the information, forms, worksheets, and contracts they will need to start their business all in one place. The eBooks also provide thinking points, strategies, and to-dos that you might not otherwise be aware of or come across - to help create a well-rounded and strong foundation for your business.

You certainly don't have to purchase them, but will likely find some of them useful should you choose to do so. Again, all of the information is available on the forums - though not necessarily the contracts and forms. You just have to invest the time in your new business to search the forums for what you need, and ask questions - just like you did here :)

Wishing you the best of luck!

JenCharles2014

Thank you both for the information. In some way i do feel obligated to purchase the books advertised here. I have yet to come across another VA offering information in good gesture. Not that they are not out there, I have yet to come across it.

I am still starting with my new VA business and i know to be in business I to must spend not only my time but money also. I just wish I could find more things to get idea's from so i don't have to spend the money as it is very tight for me right now.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Jen, maybe it will help to see it this way?
This whole site is 'good gesture' information - offered by myself and every other VA who contributes to the knowledge base here.
Make the most of this amazing resource - it's FREE.