Can General Admin Tasks be packaged?

Hey everyone,

I am in the start-up phase of my business and I am doing a lot of research and fine tuning as I go along. I have read a lot of threads here about the pros and cons of charging by the hour and by creating packages. I admit I do like the advantages of charging clients by package rather than by the hour because you know how much money you will receive each month. It is more steady and reliable than charging by the hour.

However, since I am just starting up, I only offer General Administrative Tasks (Word processing, Desktop publishing, Data entry, etc.) to potential clients. My question is will it be possible to package General Administrative tasks? Or will that only work for specialized tasks and projects?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! :seeya:

twenty47

Hi Shaval,

I understand your dilemma. I have been charging by the hour for the past year and have reached a point where I feel like I would want to do away with keeping my eyes off the clock. I am faced with the decision now of how best to package the service that fall under this category. The reason being it is hard to figure out what a client's needs are before you start working with them. I have had a scenario where a client says "It's not much work I need done"; only to get into it and realise that there is probably triple of the workload that was initially described.

I am thinking of splitting admin, social media, any outbound calling into different packages as I have seen that each requires a different amount of effort from the other.

I am hoping someone can come up and share any enlightening information regarding creation of packages.

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Sheval,

The services you are calling 'general admin' are specialized and can be packaged.

Also remember that you can package your services and then state in your contract that if the packaged services deviate from the initial description you can charge hourly.

So many, many times I package my services and as time goes on, I find that I am providing other services, so I will apply my hourly in addition to the package. I also indicate in my contract that I will re-evaluate the account in 3 or 6 months to ensure that I am offering the services in the contract. If not, I will create an addendum and adjust my rates accordingly.

But the important issue to remember is that it must be stated up front in the client consultation and agreed in writing in the contract.

As time goes on, you will find that some services are not 'worth it' to offer and you will learn to fine-tune what you find is most profitable to offer.

Janine

Janine,

What would be the best way to package those services? Would I create a package based upon the scope of work to be provided to the client and the estimated amount of time it will take for me to complete it? Or do I create generic packages only based up the type of service offered (i.e. General Admin, Social Media, etc.) as Tariro mentioned above?

I am just trying to get a better understanding of how packages work and how it can be both valuable to the client and VA without anyone being shortchanged of time or money.

Also, I will remember that if services provided deviate from the initial services in the contract, I can charge hourly. Great tip!

Thanks,

Shaval

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Sheval,

I am assuming you mean how to advertise these on your website?

For the website, I would create categories such as Office Admin and Social Media and state those packages at a package rate.

You will find that clients will contact you asking for social media, for example but may also need data entry. You adjust your package to fit what it is that they need. So for the client, you can deviate from the advertised package based upon what they request and/or you suggest during the consultation. Remember that you are the expert so they may call you for social media services and in speaking with the client, you see they also need website updates but they may not know that. So then that social media package may be adjusted to fit the clients' needs.

Check out other VA websites through the directory listed here on VAF and see how other VAs have set up their sites.

I wouldn't worry so much about getting it exactly right the first time on your website. I mean, set up basic packages and then see what it is that clients need. Adjust your packages as time progresses and then concentrate on those services which are in demand the most.

Janine

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Shaval! I haven't announced this widely yet but thought of your thread today as I was writing up one of the email invites - there's a webinar later this month with my friend Lisa Wells, just for Virtual Assistant Forums members, and it's ALL about packaging and pricing and what that looks like in your business - including how to make the transition with existing clients. And it's totally free :) Here's the link to sign up!

I hope this helps :)

willowadmin

Great question and information here as packaging is something that I am trying to do also.

Good point Janine about having in the contract deviating from the package to meet client's needs, I think that is what I was having trouble figuring out.

Will sign up for the webinar too, what great timing!

deedallas

I am looking forward I have already signed up. I know I can learn something from this webinar. I am going Full Time with my VA business and I will be Networking more in the upcoming months. I feel I will need as much information as possible to become Successful.

Last edited:

lrwells

I'll definitely be talking about options to package up Exec Admin tasks. Looking forward to the call ladies! :)

Hey, Shaval,

It's a really common question and even I am trying to figure out how to package my services. I am signed u for the webinar and can't wait to get my problems solved!

JoyJoy1126

Hi Shaval! I haven't announced this widely yet but thought of your thread today as I was writing up one of the email invites - there's a webinar later this month with my friend Lisa Wells, just for Virtual Assistant Forums members, and it's ALL about packaging and pricing and what that looks like in your business - including how to make the transition with existing clients. And it's totally free :) Here's the link to sign up!

I hope this helps :)
I know this was 6 years ago but is there a recording of this or a connected discussion? Thank you!!