Business name

marchfam

I have been trying to come up with a good name and finally asked one of my friends and he came up with WDM Virtual Management Systems. Any feedback would be extremely helpful.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious what the WDM stands for?
I think the name is fine - although maybe a tad long...which can be prohibitive to helping potential clients remember you.

Also, the word 'systems' implies (at least to me) programming or some kind of industrial company...

What kinds of words and concepts have you been brainstorming/playing with?
:)

marchfam

Hi ladies,

Thanks for the honesty.

The WDM are my initials, Wendy Davis-March. Kind of corny, I know.:blush2:

I kind of thought it was a little too techy sounding but thought I would give it a try. I have just been playing with the words that have to do with admin services. I really seem to be having a hard time with it.:nonod: I am just going to keep trying. I will get it eventually. I will be sure to get feedback from the forum before I decide on anything.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Aw, I think it's really a great idea to use your name or initials in your business name - don't give up! :)

If you feel like posting any other brainstorms, even if it's just a few words, feel free!

Have you tried this exercise? (third post [?] in on the thread or so...)

kathiemt

Hi ladies,

Thanks for the honesty.

The WDM are my initials, Wendy Davis-March. Kind of corny, I know.:blush2:

I kind of thought it was a little too techy sounding but thought I would give it a try. I have just been playing with the words that have to do with admin services. I really seem to be having a hard time with it.:nonod: I am just going to keep trying. I will get it eventually. I will be sure to get feedback from the forum before I decide on anything.
Sometimes you can have words that rhyme with your name or perhaps play on words or words that are made up of your initials. Lots of things you can try. Like Beckon Rebecca to assist with your business... or Give your business a TOW with Thomas Office Works (which was my second choice if I couldn't get the name I do have).

What about 'Get your business Marching in the right direction with Wendy Davis-March' And then you could find a name that goes with the tag line. When brainstorming with tag lines often names will come to mind. For me I wrote a brochure that finished with 'let me be the secretary you need when you haven't got a secretary' and then suddenly my name came to me - A Clayton's Secretary. Here in Australia there was advertising in the '80s for a non-alcoholic drink called Claytons which was the drink you had when you weren't having a drink.

virtual writing

Wendy - Had to put my 2 cents in here. What's in a name? It's everything and nothing. Terribly important, and yet many brands are well known by seemingly whimsical names (where did "Google" come from, for instance?). I'd like to suggest that if you really concentrate on the precise services in which you excel - and the ones that involve work you really enjoy doing - then a to-the-point name will come to you.
Another way to workshop your business name might be to make a mind map (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map) - a very fun exercise! - that can be extremely revealing about your own thought processes, desires and dreams, as well as give you hints about the possibilities that are open to you.
I'm very interested in working through creative blocks, so couldn't resist this little opportunity. Whatever you decide upon, it will be your skill and professionalism that will make the business work. Can't wait to hear how it all works out!
Mary Ruth
Virtual Writing & Communications Solutions