AVA Solutions??

CYMMTJ

What do you think of that name??

I'm trying to figure out my niche.

I think I would like to focus on the seniors. I would like to be able to work with seniors and be "that remarkable lady who is an amazing asset in our lives" I would like a meaningful business relationship with seniors with some that leads to solid friendships over time.

Please don't laugh at that! I'm just listing what I would like to see happen. Like the article I read - it says to write down as much as you can what you would like to see happen when you start up and run a business and with flair (elegance or grace) is another of many on my list. :sunny:

My market research shows that there are huge growing numbers of seniors. I've personally spoken with one. He mentioned that there are many like him who would like to have a personal online secretary to do the detail work. For instance - there are too much information out there and choices to choose...I can do the research and find out the best deals on travel plans or that oil for their car...or I can arrange birthday parties or set up family reunions.

Archer Virtual Assistant - Personal Solutions: (is this okay??) The reason I use personal for solutions is because I want to convey that my business is of personal nature and have that personal touch, behind the scene, as a helper in seniors' lives and I have a solution (I need to find a different word other than solution...I tried using thesaurus for that word to no effect.) And solution to what?

Short on time?
Overwhelmed? (many informations and choices available nowadays)
Looking for that personal touch?

I need advice on how to do that conveying that message...

AVA Solutions and yet let people know what AVA stands for...

After all this - do you think it can work out? Working with seniors?

Am I missing anything? Any additional ideas?

I hope I make sense on this all and hopefully someone can help me brainstorm! :wings:

Yvonne

Office Goddess

I think it's a GREAT idea to niche for seniors! My dad is 75 and just called me yesterday to talk him through problems he was having with his computer. His wife is 13 years younger and more computer literate than he is, but for years I was his "go to girl" for anything computer or internet.

CYMMTJ

Oh, I forgot to add that I would like to do bookkeeping on the side and also as a backup if it doesn't work to niche for seniors. I like bookkeeping but I have zero work experience on that and am wondering & working on how to gain that experience...

Lily, thanks! But that presents a dilemna...

I am not sure I can help seniors with computer and internet via phone. Although I would have liked to! I need to use a different form of communications such as email, fax, IM, snail mail or whatnot. Well, I mean I can use the phone but I have to use relay service which is a bad idea for business use - having to use third person. You see - I am deaf :0).

It is difficult finding work as an employee and I dislike that idea of being an employee for several reasons...

I was glad when I found out the world of virtual assistant where work is done virtually via technology such as computer and internet and not much hearing is required. :0)

winslowgirl

Bookeeping will thrive.. I have a 80 year old grandmother who still lives on her own.. There is a huge market for this!! There are several states that thrive with seniors might be a good place to start..

Good luck!

Office Goddess

The best way to get bookkeeping experience is to find a part-time job on craigs list. However, I would start by taking an accounting basics class online (check your local community college) and then going through the Intuit Certified QB User training (search for Rebecka's post on this forum for the link). This will teach you the basics so you are comfortable w/QB . Anyone can learn a software program but it is easy to miscode items if you don't understand basic accounting :(

And as far as phone coaching, I was just pointing out the need many seniors have for assistance with computer/internet technology. I'm sure there are multiple ways to assist them other than phone calls :)

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Yvonne,
Your plan sounds great! I have yet to see a press release come through for a virtual assistant who has niched in the senior market - AND you know, one of my favorite business consultants on the planet, Tom Peters, is always going on in his books about how the 50+ crowd is the least marketed to demographic but ironically, they have the most disposable funds.

I love that you're focusing on the 'personal' aspect of the relationship - you should come up with a nice list of services you can create a 'menu' with - things you can do right now (keep the age of the people you're marketing to in mind though and help them out with a slightly bigger font) and go for it! Write up a release and just go for it :)

There is a program you might want to consider installing on your site (when you get your site set up ;) ), I've never used it, but it might be the perfect thing for you - people can 'call' you through your website - not voice chat though, it's like a little chatroom that shows when you're online and offline, it's called Meebo. That way your clients would just go to your website during business hours, if they needed to 'call' you ;)

I'm excited for you with this concept - I think you're really on to something!

Agnes

Yvonne,

I think you are onto something that is quite dynamic with your target market! Way to go!

In regards to learning more about bookkeeping, check out this link.

:)

Girl Friday

Great concept Yvonne,

Have you thought about adding the term "concierge" to your services. I imagine the seniors would love a service like this. Someone to help them with their day to day activities, managing their personal bills and travel arrangements.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
That's a really good idea...I think that term would resonate very well for older generations in particular - and it lends itself well to the 'personal assistant' angle you're going for Yvonne.

CYMMTJ

Hehe thanks everyone for some great ideas!!

Yup - that is true, Lily. :0) Please excuse my earlier post. I did not really want to mention about my deafness because I am tired of the suddenly change of attitude toward me. I'm fine with being deaf but not the silly behaviors people have once they know I am :0) Gladly there were none here on this forum! At least not that I am aware of! *happy dance*

Agnes, thank you for that link! I plan to register there soon.

Tess, I will definately check out on Meebo - sounds interesting. I also am looking into blackberry where I can keep in touch with my clients at all times. Hmm, may I ask how this word, concierge, lends itself well to the 'personal assistant" angle?

Danielle, that sounds like a great idea! Adding concierge to my services.

I'm thinking that I would like to be a specific company so I might leave out the bookkeeping aspect of it - at least for now - until my business is well established and with plenty of exposure. Then I can add bookkeeping services if there is a need (demand). That'll give me time to take classes on bookkeeping and focus on services for seniors.

I also would like to offer some services that requires me going out of my office such as home organizations for closets, basements, garages and so forth. Shopping, mail deliveries and etc. I like getting out of my office enjoying the sunshine and seeing my clients happy faces. But I do need my business to be mainly online to fit in my plans for the future for me and my family. So we are able to move when the time comes. A BIG move. Across the country, in fact. And the area we are moving to will be really rural. So it is a must for my business to be online.

So would it be okay to offer live services here in my area and then when we move to delete that service and offer only online services? How does it work?

winslowgirl

I love the thought of offering live services!! What a graet idea!! I think you talor your business around you!! So if you can offer live services now, go for it.. See what kind of response you get. You may find you love it!! Thats why this businesss is so great!! Its what works for you!

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
There's a woman in Florida called 'The Task Lady', she's done quite well offering live personal services and has just added Virtual Assistance to her offerings - search for her site, it may give you some inspiration ;) Plus, her site is full of lots of personality!

CYMMTJ

Thanks Tess! I found the website. I agree that it is full of personality! How did you know about Moncia, the task lady?

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Yvonne :) I monitor press releases in our industry and Monica's came across my virtual desk - I don't follow the links in every release but any that are particularly well-written, interesting and/or have a really unique angle, or otherwise draw me in are worth a look. Monica's was one of those.